Whether you've just started college or are doing a knee-deep master's degree course, your life could always be a bit easier. These devices help you with your schoolwork, increase your entertainment and make cooking less tedious.
Do not worry. We're not just listing the best pens connected to the internet or whatever. Most of these devices are technically non-essential elements for your convenience or entertainment only. The thing is, it's important to find a balance between work and relaxation in college. It's better to have some essentials to comfort yourself than burn yourself out with homework.
But hey, there's no reason to pull things out. You're probably hesitating anyway. Here are 26 gadgets that can help you master the college.
The main gadgets for students
Every student needs a few essentials. Of course we do not talk about toothbrushes and underwear (if you do not have underwear, buy some). We talk about the essential devices that make it possible to survive everyday college life.
Here are the essentials for all college students:
- AmazonBasics 8-Outlet Surge Protector: Everyone needs a surge protector. Skip the surge protector with 6 outlets and buy this power strip with 8 outlets for less money. If you want to make the most of it, you need a good portable charger. This VOOE battery has a capacity of 24800 mAh and should charge your phone about five or six times.
- Extra Charging Cable: There's nothing worse than losing your only phone cord. Get a few extras – there are many cheap Lightning, USB-C and micro-USB cables on Amazon.
- BLACK + DECKER Coffee Maker : Skip Starbucks and Save Money. A cheap coffeemaker does not make a good bar, but it will help you survive those nightly hours of study.
Seems pretty simple, right? It is quite possible that you already have a coffee machine, charging cable and surge protection. So it's time to start with something more interesting.
A good laptop and external storage
Every student needs a laptop. How else would you do your homework or quietly surf the web during class?
Honestly, you should try to buy a laptop with your student discount. However, if you're in a hurry, these laptops will do the job properly:
- Samsung Chromebook 3: Chromebooks are inexpensive, wonderful little laptops. They are super fast and work perfectly with Google Suite (Docs, etc). Remember, however, that no professional software like Photoshop can be run.
- HP EliteBook 840 G2: If you need a cheap Windows computer, make sure it has some decent specifications. The HP EliteBook 840 G2 has a decent CPU, an SSD, and 8GB of RAM, so you can be confident it's reliable and relatively fast.
- MacBook Air: Are you an Apple fan? The new MacBook Air is a wonderful little device perfect for light entertainment or time-consuming tasks.
- Surface Pro 6: If you're looking for a laptop that also functions as a tablet, you should get the Surface Pro. It runs on Windows 10 and is able to run professional software like Photoshop or ProTools.
Since you're using a laptop, it's worth carrying an external storage device with you. Your college may offer a free cloud storage solution (such as OneDrive or Dropbox), but you can not always trust cloud storage to transfer important documents quickly (especially when you're on the go).
High Capacity Storage Options:
- PNY 32GB Flash Drive: This is a small flash drive that contains 32GB of data. Because it's a USB 3.0 drive, files can transfer much faster than older flash drives or cloud storage.
- Western Digital Portable 2TB Hard Drive: This 2TB hard drive is a bargain. This is an excellent option for students who need to carry (or secure) a lot of documents and photos.
Now that you've got your most important devices, your laptop, and an external storage device, it's time to think about entertainment.
TV Time and Gaming
In college (or anytime in life), a television is dark in the world like a beacon. It provides entertainment, knowledge, comfort and a destination for every social interaction.
A television alone is mostly useless. No, you'll need some extra equipment to get the most out of your TV, namely a streaming stick and a good game console:
- Toshiba 32-inch Smart TV: If you need a cheap TV, grab it to this Toshiba Smart TV from Amazon. And as cheap as it is, you will hardly find a better 32-inch TV.
- Google Chromecast: Google Chromecast lets you stream media directly from your phone or laptop. Control is entirely from your phone (or through the Chrome browser). This is great for college kids who want to quickly share YouTube videos or Netflix shows.
- Roku Express: The Roku Express is a more traditional streaming stick. It comes with a remote control and makes your "stupid" TV effectively smart. It is great for watching Netflix, Prime Video or other streaming services.
- Nintendo Switch: The Switch is a great console for multiplayer games like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. It's still a bit expensive, but it will help you survive the four years of study.
- PlayStation Classic: Of course, you could always buy the extremely low-priced PlayStation Classic when a new game console seems a bit overpriced.
- Raspberry Pi 3 B + Kit: If you're technically savvy, you can turn a Raspberry Pi computer into a media center or a miniature game console.
If you're familiar with your Media Center, it's time to focus on another wonderful form of entertainment: music.
Headphones and Speakers
Music is the lifeblood of college students, second only to coffee and a continuing fear of the future. While headphones and speakers may look like expensive luxuries, they can help you get into the zone or release steam.
There's nothing like a good, affordable speaker or headphone. Here are some great options:
- COWIN E7 Noise Canceling Headphones: Instead of waiting for your roommate to shut up so you can start doing your homework, turn it off with a cheap noise-canceling headset.
- JLab Wireless Earphones: Why spend a ton of money on a pair of wireless earphones? The wireless JLab earphones sound great and have an integrated touch control. (They work with Android and iOS devices.)
- Anker Soundcore Bluetooth Speaker: Whether you are hosting a party or preparing a meal, you need a good speaker to spread musical joy. The Anker Soundcore is a great, affordable and proven Bluetooth speaker that lets you do your job.
Now that you're all equipped with a good audio device, it's time to start thinking about your physical condition comfort.
Cooking does not have to be complicated, time-consuming or expensive. With the right tools, even a beginner can prepare some delicious meals a week.
Here are some of the best kitchen gadgets for students:
- Instant Pot: The Instant Pot is a miracle machine. It's an affordable pressure cooker that lets you easily replace your crockpot, rice cooker and even some of your pots and pans. It is great for cooking potatoes, stews or anything else you can imagine. You can also use an instant pot to cook frozen meat such as frozen chicken.
- Easter DuraCeramic Frying Pan: Why cook everything on a tiny burner when you can prepare a feast on a cheap frying pan? An electric grill plate is great for cooking breakfast, meat, group food or even a healthy selection of vegetables.
- Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker: – Save money by making your own breakfast sandwiches. With this breakfast sandwich maker in Hamilton Beach, it's easy and you have a few options to personalize your breakfast sandwich experience. This BELLA rotating waffle maker is much better suited for you than the pre-made waffles stored in your freezer.
These kitchen utensils seem a bit expensive, but they really pay off. In addition, they make it easier for the students to eat healthily. This is one of the first things that you lose sight of when starting your studies.
Luxury gadgets for your comfort
Looking for something special? These gadgets are hardly indispensable, but they can greatly facilitate your university life:
This is a pretty big shopping list with a decent mix of essential and not indispensable university food. While you should not bother buying any pretty device you come across, it's good to strike a balance between comfort and ease of use. After all, college is not just work. It's also a great opportunity to have fun.