Police said they are still looking for a suspect.
Seven people, including four children, were injured in an apparent drive-by shooting Friday night in Mesa, Arizona.
The victims included three adults and four children aged 1
The 1-year-old was hospitalized in “extremely critical” condition, Cost said, while the other victims had non-life-threatening injuries that ranged from mild to severe.
“This is devastating, this is a sad day,” said Cost.
The shooting came after occupants of a white SUV stopped in the middle of the street and opened fire towards the food area where several families were eating, Cost said.
One of the grocery vendors returned fire on the vehicle and it is currently unknown whether it was hit, police said.
No suspects have been found or arrested, according to police.
Investigators have found no link between the perpetrators and the victims, Cost said. They are also working to determine if an incident in the same parking lot several hours earlier that day, in which a grocer intervened while a man allegedly assaulted a woman, was related to the shooting, the boss said.
“This kind of senseless, evil violence is not tolerated in our city or anywhere else,” Cost said, calling on people to provide information.
Officials and investigators processed the scene on Saturday and spoke to witnesses. The footage of the scene recorded by the Phoenix ABC subsidiary KNXV showed tents from the event that were still set up in the parking lot.
“We are in the early stages to find out who did this and what motive there could have been for this incident,” said Detective Nik Rasheta, spokesman for the Mesa Police Department, on Friday evening during a press conference on site.