With the iPhone X, Apple has introduced a whole new way for iOS users to interact with their iPhones. Gestures came into the limelight as they obviously replaced functions that you would normally do on the Home button. But swipes are not all for the new iPhone X R X S and X S Max. Do not you believe us? Just look at the side button.
The side button is more than just a replacement for the sleep / wake button that every iPhone has had for almost a decade. While it still keeps your iPhone going to sleep and wakes it up, there's a list of new features and functions for which it's responsible. Check them all down:
- Lock or wake: Press the side button and release it.
- Snooze an alarm: Press the side button and release it. You can also do this for the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons.
- Open Apple Pay / Wallet: Double-click the "Page" button. You must first have a debit or credit card connected. Alternatively, you can use an Apple Pay Cash Card.
- Accessibility Features: Click the page key three times. This is the case if you have enabled the Magnifier, Guided Access, Assistance button, and / or another accessibility feature.
- Start Emergency SOS Immediately: Press the page key five times quickly. (You can disable this feature in Settings.)
- Start Emergency SOS Countdown: Press and hold the side and volume buttons up or down, or hold down all three at the same time. Hold it as soon as the screen "eject" appears.
- Enable Siri: Press and hold the side key.
- Power Off: Press and hold the side and volume up or down or all three together, then slide the "power off slider" on the screen.
- Power On: Click on the page if your iPhone is off.
- Force Restart: Quickly press the volume button, then quickly press the volume down button and then long press the side button
- Quickly Disable Face Detection: Click the Page button on the lock screen and then Volume up or Volume up
- Take screenshots: Briefly press the "Side" and "Volume Up" buttons together.
- Enable Recovery Mode in iTunes: Connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes, and then click the Volume Up button, click Volume Down, and then long-press the page button until the iTunes logo appears is displayed on the screen.
- Enter DFU mode in iTunes: This gets a bit complex. More information about DFU can be found in our complete guide.
- Buy apps with the Face ID: After clicking "Get" on the App Store, double-click the "Side" button to initiate the facial recognition scan. [1