I have a piece of paper on which my wifi name and password are clearly printed and that I hand over to the houseguests so they can log in to the wi-fi network. However, this method of sharing is not very easy and can still take a few tries to get it right. Now thatI recycle this leaf.
Stop giving your family and friends a piece of paper with my Wi-Fi name and password. No more looking for the password on the label of my modem when I have misplaced the paper. And for my guests no more typos. Inthe recently released update for Android by Google I can generate a QR code with the credentials of my Wi-Fi network, which the guests then use Quickly scan with the phone's camera to log in. Of all the new features I've used during the beta phase of Android 10, this may be the best I'm looking forward to the most.
Sure, you could findto do this on Android phones, but for these you may need to manually enter your network credentials as part of setup. In Android 10, simply tap a button in your Wi-Fi settings to create a QR code for sharing. To scan, open your iPhone or Android camera app, scan the code and tap to log in. The process is based on the Wi-Fi Easy Connect standard of the Wi-Fi Alliance for sharing network credentials with a QR code.
allows you to manage the Wi-Fi network that you can scan with a QR code on a sticker or display that you scan with your Android device, including smart home devices (including the Internet -of-things devices) add camera app. Note that the device must support the Easy Connect Wi-Fi standard for this to work.
How to Create a QR Code for a Wi-Fi Network
In Android 10, you can share your Wi-Fi credentials with a QR code.
1. Go to Settings, then to Network and Internet, then to the name of your Wi-Fi network, and tap the gear to the right of your network.
. 2 In the Network Details window, tap the blue Sharing button on the right.
3. Make sure you are using your PIN or fingerprint to get a QR code with the Wi-Fi name and password to generate.
There seems to be no way to save the QR code from here. You must therefore regenerate it each time you use it. However, you can take a screenshot of the QR code and show it to guests on your phone. I did that.
How to scan a QR code to join a network
Android 10 gives you several ways to scan the code.
1. Under Network & Settings tap Wi-Fi.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the list of your saved Wi-Fi passwords.
. 3 Tap the QR code icon to the right of Add network.
4. Position the viewfinder over the QR code generated on another phone. Once the QR code reader recognizes the code, your phone automatically connects to the network.
You can also use the Camera app to scan QR codes as soon as you turn on the lens.
1. Open the camera app from Android.
2. If you have not used the lens before, tap More in the camera settings.
3. Tap Lens and then Turn on Camera to use Lens.
. 4 Position the camera viewfinder over the QR code and tap on the code.
5. If the name of the network appears below the QR code, tap to log in to join the Wi-Fi network.
This is just as easy on an iPhone and iPad running iOS 11:
1. Open the iOS Camera app.
2. Position the viewfinder of the camera app over the QR code. When the camera detects the QR code, a notification is displayed.
3. Tap the notification to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
After tapping the notification, you are either on the iPhone or Android without entering a password.
Originally published on April 16, 5 am, PT.
Update, September 4: instructions added.