wants to join Google's – a gaming service coming in November that will let's stream players to the Chrome browser, connected to a TV and – and Microsoft's which will allow streaming to stream games via Netflix, when it arrives in 2020.
Apple, however, is taking a different approach with. Instead of streaming a game, Arcade players want to download it to their own device. Apple Devices, and Apple said which should make for more varied gameplay.
and do not know – about Apple'sgaming service, following Apple's iPhone event this month.
What is Apple Arcade?
Apple's App Store more than 300,000 games. But discovering games can be a challenge – and helping users do so. Apple says it's part of Arcade, which calls it the world's first mobile games, desktop and living room service.
Apple is working with game creators to create more than 100 new and exclusive games. Apple is concerned that the game is not available on other mobile devices. Game types will include multiplayer and AR, and Apple says it will be adding games over time.
Which games have been announced?
Apple said you'll be able to play 100+ games with an Arcade subscription.
- The Artful Escape, from Annapurna Interactive
- Atone: Heart of the Elder Tree, from Wildboy Studios
- Beyond a Steel Sky, from Revolution Software
- Box Project, by Mediocre Mel
- The Bradwell Conspiracy, from Bossa Studios and A Brave Plan
- Cardpocalypse, from Versus Evil and Gambrinous
- Doomsday Vault, from Flightless
- Down in Bermuda, from Yak & Co
- 19659022] [From] [[Previous Next]
- Frogger in Toy Town, from Konami
- HitchHiker, from Versus Evil and Mad About Pandas
- Hot Lava, from Klei Entertainment
- Lego Arthouse, from Lego
- Lego Brawls, from Lego and Red Games
- Lifelike, from Kunabi Brother
- Little Orpheus, The Chinese Room
- Momomals, from Picomy
- Mr. Turtle, from Illusion Labs
- Ocean Way 2: Knights of the Lost Realm, from Cornfox & Bros.
- Overland, from Finji
- The Pathless, from Annapurna and Giant Squid
- Project: First Light, from Blowfish Studios and Shadowplay Studios
- Save, from UsTwo Games
- Sayonara Wild Hearts, from Annapurna Interactive and Simogo
- Shantae 5, from WayForward
- Sneaky Sasquatch, from RAC7
- Sonic Racing, from Sega and HardLight
- Spidersaurs, from WayForward
- UFO on Tape: First Contact, from Revolutionary Concepts
- Where Cards Fall, from Snowman and The Game Board
- Winding Worlds, from Ko_op
- Yaga, from Versus Evil and Breadcrumbs Interactive
What devices can I use to play Apple Arcade games?
The iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac and Apple TVs want work with the service. Users want to be able to access the service via a new dedicated tab on a device's App Store.
You'll download a game to your device to play. And unlike Google's Stadia game service, this is not a streaming service: Every Arcade game will be playable offline. Apple says Arcade will let parents control kids' gaming screen time, too.
How much does Apple Arcade cost?
AtApple said Apple Arcade will cost $ 4.99 for unlimited access after a one-month free trial. Apple said you do not want to pay extra for add-ons or game updates; all that comes with the subscription. And as with the a subscription will cost the same for individual and six family members.
When and where is it coming?
Sept. 19, Apple says, in more than 150 countries. [This includes the UK and Australia.]
What else is Apple doing with Arcade?
In addition to hosting the service, Apple says it's contributing to the development of the game.
How much money does Apple make from each game?
Apple did not share much of it, but it customarily gets a 30% share of app sales in its App Store. Fortnite gets a 12% cut, undercutting the 30% Steam gets off its store purchases.
What about privacy?
Apple says Apple Arcade games can not collect any data about you and can not track information about how to play the game without your consent. Look for individual permissions that give you control over what.
Originally published March 25.
Updates, June 13: Additional details; Sept. 10, adds games, price.
CNET may be commissioned from retail offers.