If you're an iOS app developer, your Monday has gotten even better. Apple has just released the iOS 12.2 Developer Beta 5 for their software updates today, March 11. This fifth beta includes a number of minor changes and enhancements to the user interface as well as probably some enhancements and bug fixes under the hood.
Beta 5 release notes are the same as Beta 4 and Beta 3 release notes. That may mean that these three beta versions are the same, but that's not the case. Beta 4 featured significantly different from Beta 3, including a new News icon, a redesigned Apple TV remote on-screen, and a new Apple TV remote in Control Center.
Beta 5 mainly contains some small UI improvements. On the "About" page, you will notice that "S" and "R" in the iPhone X S X S Max and X R is written in small caps. The settings now have an icon for the message icon. This message icon is more used in the News app, such as the Today tab. It is also likely that Beta 5 contains minor bug fixes that are not mentioned in the release notes, and may even contain security patches to address the vulnerabilities Apple found in beta version 4.
You can review the Release Notes for beta version 5 – as, and betas 3 and 4 – below:
App Store – Promote Your New Offer Subscriptions
StoreKit now supports subscription offerings as well as subscription offerings, allowing apps With automatically renewable subscriptions soon to be able to provide existing and already subscribed customers a discounted price for a certain duration. You can use subscription offers to win back subscribers who have canceled their subscriptions, or to request an upgrade to another subscription at a discounted price. Customers can also accept the offer if they have already created an introductory offer.
StoreKit introduces a new array of SKProductDiscount objects within the SKProduct class to show eligible customers offers in your app. Add a new SKPaymentDiscount within the SKPayment class so that these offers can be accepted by the customer.
Apple Pay Known Issues
- You may not be able to authenticate within Wallet after selecting a card. (44919900) Workaround: Double-click the Home button on an iPhone with Touch ID if your iPhone is locked. Then select the desired card in the wallet and authenticate yourself before you hold your iPhone near the reader. On the iPhone X, iPhone X S iPhone X S Max and iPhone X R Double-click the page Click on the button, select the desired card in Wallet and authenticate yourself with Face ID before holding your iPhone near the reader. (47272516)
HealthKit New Features
- High and low heart rate notifications and irregular heart rhythm notifications are now available as read-only category pattern types. (46422154)
iCloud Photos – Resolved Issues
- Photos shared with Share Suggestions now load correctly. (47401696)
Lock screen – fixed issues
- The device is no longer on the lock screen after the device is removed from a charger. (47363913)
News – New Features
- Apple News will be available in Canada with iOS 12.2 and is now available to Canadian users in the Developer Beta. Apple News in Canada supports both English and French. Readers can access a bilingual experience by following a channel in a second language. Note: Publications in the beta do not reflect all the content that will be available. Top stories and digests are not updated as frequently as in the shipping product.
Siri – Resolved Issues
- Siri works with iOS simulators. (46681836)
To download your iPhone and upgrade to iOS 12.2 dev beta 5, you must first be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If iOS 12 automatic updates are enabled, you can have the software updated overnight. For immediate installation, start the Settings app, select "General" and then "Software Update". Tap "Download and Install" and follow the instructions on the screen.