Shortly before the Labor Day weekend, Apple released the 12-developer Beta 12, which comes four days after Beta 11 and public beta 9, and just a day after the September 12 announcement. This update mainly fixes a bug that continually prompts you to install a new iOS update, even if there was not one.
The beta version of Dev 12 does not seem to contain any revolutionary enhancements or changes at this time, except for the dreaded warning:
A new iOS update is now available. Please upgrade to beta version of iOS 12.
Beyond developer can count on minor bugfixes and security patches when upgrading from Beta 11. However, as we dive into it, we'll know more about the software and update this post with all the important features we could find.
To download and update your iPhone on iOS 12 dev Beta 12, you must first be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If you've enabled iOS 12's new "Automatic Updates," you can have the software updated overnight. To download the beta version now, start the app settings, select "General" and then "Software Update". Tap "Download and Install" and then follow the instructions on the screen to download and install dev beta 12.
According to Apple's release notes, iOS 12 dev beta 12 does not solve any problems with dev beta 11. However, this fix effectively fixes the error that caused it Update available again and again.
All issues that are exposed on Beta 12 of the developer are listed below. No new issues were added.
- If you are logged in to a production account and testing with a sandbox account, when you try to get a new valid receipt, you will see a logon prompt for the production account without an option to switch to the sandbox account. (42862150) – Workaround: For testing purposes, StoreKit calls such as making a purchase and restoring transactions retrieve a new receipt. Alternatively, you can log out of the production account.
- Various CoreGraphics calls have been hardened against the continuation of invalid parameters. In iOS 12 Beta, these calls can now return NULL or return early. (38344690)
- Inviting iOS 11 users with multiple email addresses associated with their Apple ID may not be successful. (41033550) – Workaround: Send the invitation to another email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- Traffic data may not be displayed. (43254370) – Workaround: Tap the "i" button to view the map settings and turn on the traffic switch.
- When a queueTransaction on applicationQueuePlayer is executed to change the location of a song, the queue returns unchanged. (19639044)
Phone and FaceTime:
- Group FaceTime has been removed from the first version of iOS 12 and will be shipping later in the fall in a later software update.
- In iOS 12 Beta, Camera Effects is available in Messages only on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or later and not available on the iPad. Camera Effects in FaceTime is only available on iPhone 7 or later and not available on the iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls may quit unexpectedly as you move from Wi-Fi to mobile on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
- Downtime start and stop times may change unexpectedly if configured before installing iOS 12 Beta 9. (43393555) – Workaround: Update any devices associated with the iCloud account to iOS 12 Beta 9 or later and reset their start and stop times for downtime.
- After updating to iOS 12 Beta 7 or later, parents should change the screen time code to prevent children from logging out of iCloud or changing the system time. (42879250)
- Fetched phone statistics may be excessive due to data sync from other devices logged into the same iCloud account. (39917173)
- When using INUIAddVoiceShortcutButton, the text text "Add to Siri" and "Added to Siri" is not localized. (43251696) – Workaround: To locate the text "Add to Siri" and "Added to Siri", insert localizations for that text into the string files of your app bundle.
- While several ride-sharing apps are installed, Siri could open the app instead of providing an ETA or location when prompted. (42324032) – Workaround: Ask Siri again for the ETA or location.
- Siri keyboard shortcut suggestions are enabled on iPhone 6s or higher, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4. (40669231)
- Using a UICollectionViewCell subclass that requires updateConstraints () can cause problems with systemLayoutSizeFitting (_ :). (42138227) – Workaround: Do not call the cell's setNeedsUpdateConstraints () method unless you need to support live constraint changes. If you need to support live constraint changes, call updateConstraintsIfNeeded () before calling systemLayoutSizeFitting (_ :).
- When using messages in the iOS Simulator, no message may be sent from User A to User B. (40916530) – Workaround: Send a message from User B to User A.
While Apple still has to offer users an official release date, Apple's event will announce this on September 12, when the 2018 iPhone Lineup appears to be revealed. Apple will not release iOS 12 before that date, but the build "Golden Master" or "GM" will be released to developers shortly after the keynote that day. A week later, the public gets the final version.
In the meantime, the beta version of iOS 12 offers users an improvement over iOS 11. In addition to improved stability and performance, the beta version provides the testers with an excellent messaging system. New Animoji and Memoji, Do Not Disturb updates, among many other exciting new features.
Do not Miss: 55 cool new iOS 12 features that you do not know