Apple released the third public beta for iOS 14.2 today, Wednesday, October 14th. This update includes new glyphs for the HomePod mini and Beats Flex, support for the upcoming new “Intercom” feature of the HomePod, new core media features, and SwiftUI fixes.
Intercom is a HomePod feature that works for iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches. This allows you to ask Siri to forward a message to a specific HomePod in your house as if you were talking on an intercom.
This update will be released one day after Apple released beta version 3 for iOS 14.2, which the company released shortly after the iPhone 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro announced. Apple will release this update to public testers at 10 a.m. PDT.
Release Notes for iOS & iPadOS 14.2 Beta 3
The iOS & iPadOS 14.2 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices with iOS & iPadOS 14.2. The SDK comes with Xcode 12.2 Beta 3, which is available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on compatibility requirements for Xcode 12.2, see the Xcode 12.2 Beta 3 Release Notes.
General: Known issues
- Restoring picture updates is not currently supported for iPad Pro 11 “(2nd generation) and iPad Pro 12.9” (4th generation). (70176642) Workaround: Use Software Update instead.
Core Media: New Features
- Support for multiple simultaneous AVURLAsset instances on offline HLS file system URLs has been improved.
- You can now use multiple simultaneous AVPlayerItem objects and other AVFoundation objects in offline HLS assets with completed AVMediaSelection objects without triggering network reads.
- The progress display logic of the AVMediaSelection order for AVAggregateAssetDownloadTask has been improved. (64551736)
- In an environment with colorSchemeContrast == .increased, high-contrast asset catalog images are used correctly by Image. (65164844)
- An image embedded in text is no longer incorrectly displayed in black in widgets. (69392317)
- The menu label text can now wrap as expected. (68824462)
- Xcode previews no longer exit unexpectedly when previewing a view using FetchRequest. (65544435)
How to update to the latest beta
To update your iPhone to iOS 14.2 Public Beta 3, sign in to Apple’s beta site, download and install the configuration profile. Then update it wirelessly. If you already have the profile, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update to start installing the latest beta build, or you can wait for it to install automatically if Automatic Updates is enabled .
Keep your connection secure with no monthly bills. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and watch Hulu or Netflix with no regional restrictions.
Buy now (80% discount)>