Apple released the eighth developer beta for iOS 14 today, Wednesday, September 9th. Beta 8 (18A5373a) appears to be a small update that offers bug fixes to improve overall stability.
At this point in time, we haven’t seen many new or noteworthy features or changes. As the eighth beta for iOS 14, this isn’t too surprising as Apple may be more focused on fine-tuning the overall experience before the software officially launches.
Beta 8 comes six days after Apple released the sixth developer and public betas for iOS 14. Apple released this update at 10 a.m. PDT, the company’s standard release time for beta updates for developers. However, if you̵
Release Notes for iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 8
The SDK for iOS and iPadOS 14 provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS and iPadOS 14. The SDK comes with Xcode 12 Beta 6, which is available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on compatibility requirements for Xcode 12 Beta 6, see the Xcode 12 Beta 6 Release Notes.
General: Known issues
Important: Updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta from previous versions of iOS & iPadOS may take significantly longer than expected. Data loss can occur if the update is interrupted. (59101197)
- MacOS Big Sur 11 Beta 6 or Xcode 12 Beta 6 may be required to sync or update devices running iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 7 or later.
- MacOS Big Sur 11 Beta 6 is required to use the recovery images for iOS and iPadOS 14 Beta 7 or later.
Apple Security Bounty
- iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 8 is eligible for the 50% Apple Security Bounty bonus payment for issues that are unknown to Apple or reintroduced in this version. See Apple Security Bounty for more information.
App Store: Known Issues
- Avoid calling the presentCodeRedemptionSheet () API until you can create supported code. (59351258)
Core feel: Known issues
- CHHapticEngine, which is sold through the Game Controller Framework (GCDeviceHaptics), does not support CHHapticAdvancedPatternPlayer and it will return an error on advanced player creation.
- audioCustom and audioContinuous events sent to CHHapticEngine through the Game Controller Framework (GCDeviceHaptics) are silently ignored. (65163373)
- The creation of CHHapticEngine via class initializers is only available in iOS. For other platforms, access these engines via GCController. (65481931)
Fonts: Known Issues
- As of iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta, fonts installed with configuration profiles are only available to apps that support the font APIs and permissions introduced in iOS & iPadOS 13. If your app offers a custom interface for selecting fonts, it will no longer be able to access configuration profiles via installed fonts. For more information, see WWDC 2019 Session Font Management and Text Scaling (55317428).
Home screen: Known issues
- Spotlight may not display as expected. (64121178) Workaround: Restart your device.
Maps: Known Issues
- After updating to iOS and iPadOS 14 Beta 2 or later, user data such as favorites, collections, and new items will no longer be synced with devices running previous versions of iOS and iPadOS. (65005848)
SwiftUI: Known Issues
- The ProgressView generic type signature has been changed and the ProgressViewStyleConfiguration.CurrentValueLabel generic parameter has been added. This change does not require any source changes, but it does cause apps that you compile with an earlier Beta SDK to exit unexpectedly. (63580200) Workaround: Recompile apps for iOS and iPadOS 14 Beta 6 or later to resolve this issue.
- The KeyboardShortcut modifier and commands (Contents 🙂 are currently inoperable. (65704705)
- Rebuilding with the iOS 14 SDK will change custom instances (_: size 🙂 so that they can be scaled with the dynamic type. Use custom (_: fixedSize 🙂 to create a font that cannot be scaled with the dynamic type. (51463566)
- The SignInWithAppleButton view expands to fill the container. (64136568) Workaround: Apply a frame modifier.
Third-Party Apps: Known Issues
- Apps that use JSONKit may exit unexpectedly on startup. Some forks of JSONKit hardcode details for private pointer representations which are subject to change. (60290929) Workaround: Use NSJSONSerialization instead.
- fstab has been removed. You can no longer use file system content outside of an app’s sandbox for validation. (61098152)
- Apps that use the NativeScript framework might exit unexpectedly on startup. NativeScript performs an unsafe operation to determine whether any pointer is an Objective-C object pointer. You can temporarily fix this problem by using object_getClass (_ 🙂 instead of reading the isa directly. However, update this code to avoid checking that any pointers are Objective-C object pointers. (62913064)
Wallet: Known Issues
- isPassLibraryAvailable () does not guarantee uniform availability of the passport library functions between platforms and devices. (60697880) Workaround: Call a more specific API to check the features available, such as: B. canAddPasses ().
Widgets: Known Issues
- If a widget’s parent app has been granted access to selected photos, a warning may appear each time the widget is run. (66398732) Workaround: Add PHPhotoLibraryPreventAutomaticLimitedAccessAlert = YES to the Info.plist of the widget extension.
- All widgets must be recreated using the iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 4 SDK or higher and cannot run on previous versions of iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta. (65290210)
- Some widgets may disappear from your home screen after upgrading to iOS and iPadOS 14 Beta 2 or later. (64823469) Workaround: Add the missing widgets back to your home screen.
- You cannot resize an existing widget. (63500799) Workaround: Remove the widget and add it again the size you want.
- You may need to reconfigure your widgets after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 3 or higher. (65485709)
- The Weather widget may appear blank after updating to iOS 14 Beta 6 or later. (66782070) Workaround: Tap the widget to open the Weather app, then return to the widget on the home screen.
To update your iPhone to iOS 14 Beta 8, you must be a registered developer. You can use the recovery image for your iPhone available on the developer portal (install with iTunes or Finder) or install the configuration profile and then update wirelessly. If you already have the profile installed on your iPhone, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update to start installing the latest beta build, or wait for it to be installed automatically if “Automatic Updates.” “is activated.
Keep your connection secure with no monthly bills. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase in the new Gadget Hacks Shop and watch Hulu or Netflix with no regional restrictions.
Buy now (80% discount)>