The short answer and great news is Yes, you can now easily watch Amazon Prime videos on Chromecast. This has not always been the case, and this guide would have been a complicated solution. Fortunately, Google and Amazon seem to have buried the hatchet, and a recent update to the Prime Video Android app introduced the cast button. Here's what you need to know:
Seeing Amazon Prime videos on a Chromecast
From a smartphone or tablet
- This post assumes that you've connected a Chromecast to a TV and set it up already. If not, check out our guide on setting up a Chromecast on any platform. You also need an Amazon Prime or Prime Video subscription.
- Make sure the Amazon Prime Video app is updated on your phone. The update, which introduced the ability to cast to a Chromecast, was available on the Google Play Store on July 9, 2019.
- When you open the app for the first time after the update, you will see a short introduction and instructions. Touch the icon and select the Chromecast device you want to connect to.
- The upper right corner of the screen now displays a large cast icon.
- Now select the movie or TV show you want to watch and enjoy it on your TV screen.
- Note that the cast icon is different than the "Watch" button, which you may see under a video selection. This button is used to display content on a Fire TV device. To connect to a Chromecast, the button is in the lower-right corner of the screen.
From a PC
- You need to download and install the Google Chrome browser to transfer Prime Video from your PC to a Chromecast.
- Open the Prime Video website in Google Chrome.
- Select a movie or TV show you want to watch and press Play] In the browser, click the three vertical dots in the upper-right corner to open the menu.
- Click "Occupy …" and select the Chromecast you want to connect to.
- The laptop screen is now mirrored on your TV.
And it's that easy to watch Amazon Prime on your Chromecast. Any questions? Sound off in the comments.