Chrome OS is not the operating system with the most options, but there are a few ways to make your Chromebook's desktop the way you want it.
Customize your Chromebook wallpaper
Let's start with the basic look of your desktop:
- Right-click on your Chromebook's desktop and choose Set Background Image from the menu that appears.
- Click in the categories of Google to select an image, or click Click on "My Images" at the bottom of the list to select an image from your local storage.
- If you want your wallpaper to be replaced with a new image every day, click the "Daily update" option that is available the first time. Thumbnail view of one of the Google categories. (This option is currently not available for your own images.)
Customizing Your Browser's Background
You can also customize the page that appears in your browser every time you open a new tab :
- Open a new tab in Chrome and click the Customize button (or the pencil icon) in the lower-right corner of the browser.
- Select "Chrome Wallpapers" to select an image Choose from Google's collection or "Upload image" to select an image from your local storage. Then follow the instructions to find and confirm the image you want.
Customize your browser's design
Promise that you'll soon be able to click the same Customize button and pick a custom theme that matches the colors of your browser's tab and toolbar area changes. But until then, you'll need to download a theme for your browser from the Chrome Web Store.
For the time being:
- Open the Designs section in the Chrome Web Store.  Find a topic that you like, click it, and then click the "Add to Chrome" button.
Adjust the shelf of your Chromebook.
Last but not least, you can control the shelf of Chrome OS – the dock-like series of shortcuts at the bottom of the screen. First, select exactly the icons that appear in this area:
- Open the App Drawer (by clicking the circle icon in the lower-left corner of the screen, and then clicking the up-arrow in the drawer of the sub-drawer that appears ). Right-click an item in the list and select "Pin to shelf".
- If you want to add a site, open the site by clicking the three-dot menu icon in the upper-right corner of Chrome. Click More Tools, and then click Create Shortcut. ,
If you want to open the site in an app-like window without the usual browser elements, click "Open" as a window "in the pop-up window" Create Shortcut? ". Then click the blue Create button.
- Drag one of the icons to the shelf and drop it to change its position.
- You do not want the icon on your shelf Ultimately? Right-click on the icon and select "Unpin".
And last but not least: If your shelf is not displayed on the bottom, but on the left or right side of the screen, right-click anywhere, select "Shelf Position" and then "left" or "right". If you want to hide your bookshelf by default and only display it when hovering over it, right-click on the shelf and select "Hide shelf automatically".
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media may earn commissions on products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see of our Ethics Policy .