Boomerangs are undoubtedly one of the most popular features of Instagram. If you're new to Boomerang's ability to shoot up to 20 video frames, then loop the video back and forth (hence the name). Throughout existence, though, there was only one way to shoot boomerangs, but that will not be the case for long. Instagram is currently testing five new boomerang options for its Stories camera.
Instagram has not announced these boomerang options. Instead, through Jane Manchun, we learned about Wong, which looks at apps that are looking for features in development. She looked through the Instagram app code and found that some hidden features were tested. As she said on August 1
One possible Instagram update might include six boomerang options:
- Classic: Your standard boomerang. There is nothing new here.
- Hold: This stops the video at the end of the loop before it is looped back. Boomerangs are already doing this to some extent, so it will be interesting to see how "holding" changes the length of the break.
- Dynamic: Instagram "wiggles" your video most likely at the end of the loop Take the last few frames before the end and repeat them as well.
- Slowmo: Reportedly the same as Classic, played slower.
- Duo: Oddly enough, duo is just the same as Classic a bit slower.
- Duo: You do not look double. Manchun reports two duo options, the second of which is slightly faster than Classic. Maybe they are combined into an option with two modes.
If you want to have a better visual feel for These new options each created an interactive preview of Manchun's website with the Google Chrome Dinosaur shown above. It's a fun way to imagine what Instagram brews down the line for us. When exactly is the time? There is still no way to say. All we have to do is sit in until Instagram gets the impression that Hold, Dynamic, Slowmo and the duets are ready Picture of Jake Peterson / Gadget Hacks