Google's Android poster boy offers the smartest software experience in an elegant case, so our Pixel 2 XL report described it as the best Android smartphone in the world. His smaller sibling, the Pixel 2, is not teasing, but as big as these phones are, they are not quite pixel perfect. Lurking in forums, digesting comments, and running our own tests to find the most common issues with Pixel 2 and identify the awkward Pixel 2 XL issues you need fixes for. That's what we found
Problem: The rear camera does not work anymore
If you're looking for a spectacular smartphone camera, you definitely can not go wrong with the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL. The Pixel 2 contains some of the best camera hardware and software we've ever seen on a smartphone, and delivers great shots in any environment.
That is, a great camera setup does not do much good when it stops working. Apparently, a small number of users of Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL have problems with the rear camera module. When users try to open the Camera app, they see a fatal error notification that makes the app unusable.
- Google has confirmed that this problem affects a small number of phones working on a solution. If you have a problem, contact Pixel Phone Help from your phone or web browser. A support representative will guide you through some possible workarounds or replace your handset if necessary.
Error: No multimedia / text messages received
No matter how many new features are added to smartphones and how advanced they are, they should always work as phones. It's so damn annoying if your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL has problems with this basic functionality. Not a few users in Google's forums have reported issues with their Pixel 2 phones that are not sending or receiving text messages.
It seems that the issue is mainly affecting AT & T phones, and while some early posts stated AT & T was responsible for it. It became apparent that the culprit was instead mistaking APN (entry point name) entry in the phone options ,
- Most users report that the April update for Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL has been corrected These problems are caused by deleting the malformed APN that is causing the problem. If you're having trouble delivering messages, make sure the phone has been updated to the latest patch. You can verify that you are up to date on Settings> System> System Update .
- If the problem persists despite the update, deleting the failed APN may provide temporary relief. The error will be returned after the phone is restarted. It's best to contact Google directly. However, it appears that the March 27 patch resolved the problem, as no users reported any issues after this patch.
Bugs: Fast battery drain
Battery life issues are common and are usually kept to a minimum Rogue app. Some owners of Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL seem to have recently had a serious problem with fast battery usage, but the cause is unclear. Google's support forum, Reddit, and the XDA Developer's Forum are linking this battery usage with Google's latest software update. It looks like Google Play Services may be the culprit and Google collects bug reports for further investigation.
- Go to Settings> Apps & Notifications> View All Apps and find Google Play Services . Some users report temporary success after clearing the cache and data, but the problem may return. You can also try uninstalling updates for the Google Play services, but most users report that they reinstall themselves automatically. So this is another temporary solution.
- Some people report that turning off the Wi-Fi has solved the battery problem is obviously not a useful long-term solution.
Possible Solution :
- It's worth trying the safe mode, so press and hold the power button, tap and hold Turn off until you see Start in the safe Mode . When the device is restarted, "Safe Mode" should be displayed at the bottom left. Test for a while to see if the battery is dead. If this works, there is a possibility that a third-party app is responsible, possibly through the Google Play services. You may try to uninstall and retest apps one at a time, or you can manually reset and reinstall the factory settings. If you decide to reset to factory settings, test your phone for a while before reinstalling all apps to make sure the problem is resolved.
Issue: Pixel 2 XL is being unlocked slowly with the fingerprint scanner
This issue seems to be linked to the Android 8.1
- Google is aware of the problem, and although a fix has not yet been confirmed, this is likely to be resolved in a patch. In the meantime, Reddit users have found that enabling the Always On display fixes the problem.
Problem: Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL reboot at random
In recent weeks, users have complained about their Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices were randomly turned off or restarted. The timing of the reboots seems to be random, and although some users have determined that their LTE connection is to blame, others have experienced the problem of using a Wi-Fi connection.
- Luckily, Google seems to have located the problem, and posts on this topic in the Google Product Forums have received responses indicating that an update will be released in the coming weeks. So be patient, make sure you're running all your updates currently available, and fix the problem with a patch. Use Settings> System> System Update to check if you are up to date.
Problem: Screen Burn-In
Over the screen of Pixel 2, there was some controversy XL, Google asked to extend the warranty to two years. We'll cover the most common complaints in the next post, but there are also reports about branding screens, especially Android Central. Some people see the ghostly image of some elements, such as the navigation buttons, that remain on the screen after they are gone. It is more noticeable in certain backgrounds.
- In the November update, Google reduced the maximum screen brightness, showed users three display color issues, and hid the navigation bar if it was not used to fix burn-in problems. Update your phone and you should be fine.
- See the Google forum for an explanation of these issues. Google extends the warranty on the Pixel 2 XL to remedy the situation.
- If you are branded on your Pixel 2 XL screen, you should contact Google, your wireless service provider or retailer and ask for a replacement phone.
Problem: Pixel 2 XL screen quality
Some users have serious display issues with the Pixel 2 XL. For detailed discussions, see the XDA Developers Forum and the Android Central Forum. The main complaint seems to be about the color that vibrates less than expected. We noticed in our report on Pixel 2 XL that the pOLED screen has a problem with a bluish hue when you tilt it, but the cooler color temperature was not a big problem for us. There have also been reports of problems with grains or stains, which were explained in detail by Ars Technica, but we do not consider it a big problem in our review sample.
Possible Solutions :
- In its November update, Google has provided users with three display color options: Boosted, Natural, and Saturated. If you have a problem with the colors on your screen, you probably want to go with the Saturation option. To select this option, go to Settings> Display> Advanced where you can change the display settings. If you do not see it yet, update your phone and you should be fine.
- While color temperature is a tuning issue and an intentional move from Google, we do not think your screen should be spotty or grainy. If you have serious problems with inconsistent colors or blotchy spots, then you may have been unlucky and given a less than perfect panel. Contact Google, your wireless service provider, or your distributor for a replacement phone
Issue: Screen Locking and Unlocking the Phone
Some users in the Pixel User Community report flashing interrupts when locking and unlocking their phones. Some users even reported lightning when they booted their phones.
- Some users have reported temporary success by turning the environment indicator on and off. Tap Settings> Battery > Environment Display. In the Ambient Display screen, enable the Always On slider.
Problem: Portrait mode does not work for selfies
There were some reports from people who had difficulty activating portrait mode Use the front camera to take a selfie. Thankfully, it should be a relatively simple solution. Google introduces a camera update that includes portrait mode support for the front camera.
- Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi and that your Pixel 2 is in place for a long battery life. Open the Play Store and tap the top menu icon (three horizontal lines). Tap My Apps and Games and install any available updates. If you read this on your Pixel 2, you can also try updating it directly from the Camera app in the Play Store.
Glitch: Clicking on Sound and High Noise During Calls
Some people have problems with the audio on their Pixel 2 during calls. Some people report a click or tick, others complain of a high, constant noise, and some suffer from both.
- In its November update, Google has addressed this issue. If the problem persists, make sure your phone has the latest software update by going to Settings> System> System Update and clicking the Check for Update button.
- You can contact Google for help. Go to Settings> Support & Tips and select Phone or Chat to report your problem and get help with the investigation. If they can not fix it, you should be able to get a replacement. However, as it is not clear what the problem is here, you may find that a replacement device has the same problem.
Error: Problems with the Bluetooth connection
Since the appearance of the original Pixel phones, there are many reports about Bluetooth problems Android 8.0 Oreo update, but there are also some Pixel 2 owners who have their voices existing Add threads to the Google support forum. Some people can not connect to work, others report issues with certain apps, and others have voice commands. There was a patch from October 5th that was developed to solve some of these issues, but it does not seem to work for everyone.
Possible Solutions :
- Bluetooth connectivity issues are supposed to be resolved with Pixel 2, but the update has not been rolled out yet. A Google spokesperson said, "Google is aware of this issue and more updates coming soon, probably in November or early December." We have a few troubleshooting steps that you can try while waiting for an update.
- If you can not connect at all, go to Settings> Connected Devices> Bluetooth and tap Settings (gear icon) next to the problem device or car and then Forget . Delete device connections from your Bluetooth accessory or car. Turn off and on both devices and try to reconnect.
- If music is not playing, make sure you are connected to the right device or car and that the music is not being played back through another connected device. Make sure the volume is increased. Go to Settings> Connected Devices> Bluetooth then tap Settings (gear icon) next to the problematic device or car and make sure that the check box next to Media audio
- If the problem is with calls, go to Settings> Connected Devices> Bluetooth and then tap Settings (gear icon) next to the problem device or car and watch it that the checkbox next to Telephone Audio is activated.
We'll add more Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL issues and fixes as we discover them. In the meantime, grab one of the best Pixel 2 Cases or Pixel 2 XL cases to make sure you do not have a drop damage problem.
Issue: Unresponsive Screens
Some users report unresponsive screens to the distant edges of their screens, 9to5Google reports. Although most of the screen works well, the edges removed do not respond to touch.
- Google is aware of the situation and is working on a software update. In the meantime, only the outermost edges of the phones are affected by this issue, so the problem can be easily avoided.