If you did not use Gmail's planning tool, you'll miss it. In fact, the best news that emails have done since sliced bread (we're pretty sure this is definitely a problem that happens with emails). This tool will prevent you from being the silent misanthrope that sends emails over the weekend. Instead, you look like you have a productive morning fueled by too much red-eye coffee.
The Schedule Send tool does exactly as it promises so you can. This means that you do not have to save the message as a draft and resend it later. It's very similar to Boomerang if you used this browser extension, except it's built right into Gmail, making it a million times more comfortable. You can schedule emails up to 49 years in advance (a great way to wish someone a happy birthday each year).
Planning your emails for future delivery is useful if you:
- would like to strategically send an email to get to a good time when your recipient is in a different time zone.
- You do not want your email to get lost in the shuffle (for example, what happens if you send emails on Friday night).
- You want to look thoughtful (by sending a friend's birthday email as soon as you remember it, or productively (by sending emails on Monday morning at 8:00 am).
Google Planning Mail messages work from your phone as well as from your desktop, search the browser for the arrow with the "Submit" button or the stacked three dots in the app.
How to get started:
In Google Mail in your browser
When you're done composing your email and want to schedule it, do the following:
1. Find the drop-down arrow next to the Submit button.
2. Click on the arrow and then on Send Plan .
3. A menu is displayed where you can select the date and time to send the e-mail.
4. Select the time and click Plan Send . The bottom left corner displays a message box labeled "Planned to send for …", in which you can press the undo button if you made a mistake or viewed the message.
Using the Gmail app on your phone or tablet
1. If you use the Gmail app to send an e-mail, look for the stacked three dots in the upper-right corner.
2. Tap the dots and select Send Schedule .
3. From there appears a menu and you can add the date and time you want to send it to.
4. Click Schedule send . The lower left corner displays a message box labeled "Scheduled Submit for …". You can undo the action or view your message.
What happens if I need to update or delete the email?
You still do not want to send the email. You can still delete them as long as you reach them before the scheduled time.
Just click in the main menu. Scheduled Select the email you want to delete and select Cancel Send .
If you need to update the time or date If you plan to send the e-mail, cancel the e-mail. A draft is displayed where you can edit the contents of the e-mail and repeat the above steps.