iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, Apple’s latest software updates for iPhone and iPad, are now being rolled out with many new features. On iOS 14, you can add widgets to your home screen, watch videos in picture-in-picture, and use a new language translation app made by Apple. With iPadOS 14 you can write in text fields and use a newly designed search function. Both software updates provide improvements for Maps, Messages, Safari, and Siri.
Here’s what you need to know in order to download and install the new updates. If you want to know which devices support each update, just read our listings at the end of this article.
How do I install iOS 14 and iPadOS 14?
- Open the Settings app on your device and tap on “General”.
- Then tap on “Software Update”.
- You should see a notice describing the update. (If you don’t see the notice, please try again shortly.) Tap the download and install option and follow the instructions from there. The update may also have already been downloaded to your device in the background. In this case, all you have to do is tap “Install” to start the process.
- Note that you will not be able to use your device at all while installing the update. The update can take some time to install – in my experience it can take 15 minutes or more. For this reason I sometimes wait until the evening so that the update can be installed overnight.
Which devices can iOS 14 run on?
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro, Pro max
- iPhone XS, XS max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X.
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S, 6S Plus
- iPhone SE (second generation)
- iPhone SE (first generation)
- iPod touch (seventh generation)
Which devices can iPadOS 14 run on?
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (fourth generation)
- iPad Pro 11 inch (second generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (third generation)
- iPad Pro 11 inch (first generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (second generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (first generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5 inches
- iPad Pro 9.7 inches
- iPad (eighth generation)
- iPad (seventh generation)
- iPad (sixth generation)
- iPad (fifth generation)
- iPad mini (fifth generation)
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air (fourth generation)
- iPad Air (third generation)
- iPad Air 2