Apple’s iOS 14 is here. This brings over 200 new features and changes to your iPhone, including widgets for the home screen, inline replies in messages, and bike routes in maps. Best of all, you don’t have to wait to try out all of these fantastic new updates as you can now install the iOS 14 “Golden Master” (GM) version.
So what is a GM? With Golden Masters, Apple can test software that they consider “done” for the last time. Beta testers receive the software a few days before it becomes public and give Apple one last chance to confirm that there are no major bugs or issues when the software is available to everyone. Developers can also finish off any kinks in their own software so that users can update both iOS and their apps smoothly on day one.
Although the GM is available sooner than it is released, you shouldn̵
Method 1: sign up for the beta program
If you are an iOS 13 beta tester, you will need to remove your iOS 13 public beta profile in order to continue. To remove it, go to Settings -> General -> Profile -> iOS 13 & iPadOS 13 Beta Software Profile -> Remove Profile, enter your passcode and confirm with “Remove”.
Below are instructions on how to join the iOS 14 Public Beta. If you have already run the iOS 14.0 Public Beta and the profile is still installed, skip to number 16 in the list. Developers can find installation steps in our beta manual for iOS 14.
- Archive your backup using iTunes or Finder if you haven’t already.
- Go to beta.apple.com on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Sign In” or “Sign In” option.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to sign in and follow the instructions if you’ve enabled 2FA.
- If you haven’t recently signed in to your Apple account, “trust” your browser.
- Read and “accept” the Apple Beta Software Agreement, if you see it.
- Go to beta.apple.com/profile to register your iPhone for the beta program or tap the “Register iOS Device” link after you have signed up and accepted the agreement.
- On this page, tap the “Download Profile” link.
- In the pop-up tap on “Allow” to display the configuration profile.
- It will tell you after it is downloaded. Tap on “Close”.
- Open Settings and tap the “Profile downloaded” link at the top. If you don’t see that, go to Settings -> General -> Profile -> iOS 14 & iPadOS 14 Beta Software Profile.
- In the upper right corner of the profile details page, select Install.
- Enter your iPhone’s passcode to confirm.
- Read the consent form and tap “Install” in the top right corner, followed by “Install” on the action sheet to confirm.
- You may be asked to reboot for the changes to take effect. Tap “Restart” when you see it. If you don’t see it, tap Done Profile installed Page, and you’re good to go.
- Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update.
- The first time you install the iOS 14 public beta profile, the update should already be downloaded. If you’re trying to get a subsequent iOS 14 update, select “Download and Install” and enter your passcode to verify.
- If the Terms & amp; conditions The screen is displayed. Tap “Agree” and finish installing the iOS 14 beta just like any other iOS update.
Method 2: Install the IPSW file with your computer
If you don’t want to sign up for Apple’s beta program, you can always install the GM seed from the IPSW file. You have to use a computer to do the job. If you’re using a Mac running macOS Catalina or later, do so using Finder. For all previous versions of macOS, use iTunes to install the file.
If you are using Windows you should try to use 3uTools as unfortunately you cannot install iOS 14 GM with an IPSW file outside of macOS. Full disclosure, we did not test the tool ourselves.
Step 1: Download the correct IPSW file
Not all IPSW files are created equal. While all of the iOS 14 GM IPSW files will install the GM, you will need to use the ones specific to your iPhone. We’ve added links below for all iPhones compatible with iOS 14. These links are verified by Apple and are 100% legit and safe to use.
Unlike Method 1, which uses the public GM, these links use the developer GM. You must have either macOS Catalina or Xcode 12 installed on your computer to use these links (you don’t need to install the full Xcode app if you install mobiledevice.pkg instead). Of course, if you happen to be a developer, you can easily download the IPSW file from the developer’s website.
iOS 14 & iPadOS 14 GM Seed Links:
Once you have the IPSW file on your computer, installing iOS 14 GM is a breeze.
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC
Connect your iPhone to your computer with a Lightning to USB cable or a Lightning to USB-C cable.
Step 3: unlock your iPhone (if necessary)
When your iPhone greets you with an “Unlock iPhone to Use Accessories” popup, use Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode to unlock your iPhone.
Step 4: trust your computer (if necessary)
If this is the first time your iPhone has connected to your computer, you will likely need to “trust” the computer to continue. Just follow the instructions on your iPhone and computer. You can trust the computer again anytime you want.
Step 5: open iTunes (or Finder on Catalina)
When your iPhone has successfully connected to your computer, iTunes should open automatically. If it doesn’t, open it manually. If you’re running macOS Catalina, open Finder and skip to step 8.
Step 6: update iTunes (if necessary)
Update iTunes to the latest software version to avoid potential problems. In macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below, you can check this from the Update tab in the Mac App Store. With macOS 10.14 Mojave, iTunes can be updated via “Software Update” in the system settings.
Step 7: Sign in to iTunes
If you’re not already signed in to iTunes, do so now.
Step 8: choose your iPhone
When your iPhone appears in iTunes, click the appropriate icon next to the media drop-down list. Make sure you are in the Summary view.
If you’re using Finder in Catalina or later, select your iPhone from LocationsThen make sure you are on the General tab. It should be open by default.
Step 9: backup on iOS 13 (optional)
If you want to keep your data safe, back up your iPhone on iOS 13. You can do a full backup using iTunes or Finder, or a partial backup using iCloud. Since you’re already using iTunes or Finder, it might make the most sense to back up there. If you want to save your health and activity data, select the encrypted local option and click “Back up Now”.
If you Really However, I want to make sure the data is protected …
Step 10: archive your iOS 13 backup (optional)
The next time you connect your iPhone to your computer after the backup, the old backup will be overwritten with the current status of your iPhone. Usually this works fine. However, since you’re running iOS 14, it means your computer will overwrite your old iOS 13 backup with it. Not good.
If you want to make sure your iOS 13 backup is safe, or if you want to downgrade to iOS 13 again, you need to archive your backup. This may sound a little difficult, but it can be quite easy.
To archive using iTunes, open Settings, select Devices, right-click your iOS 13 backup, and select Archive (you should now see a lock next to the backup).
If you’re using Finder, select “Manage Backups” from the “General” tab, right-click the iOS 13 backup and select “Archive” (the name of the backup changes slightly to demonstrate that it was saved).
Step 11: start installing iOS 14 GM
Hold down Options On your Mac, in iTunes or Finder, choose Update or Check For Updates.
Step 12: Select the IPSW file
Select the IPSW recovery image from the file selection window and click “Open” to begin installing the software.
Step 13: Wait for iTunes or Finder
Just wait for iTunes or Finder to finish the process. When it’s done, your iPhone will restart.
Step 14: set up iOS 14
Now just go through the instructions on your iPhone’s screen to set up iOS 14. Open the App Store to see what updates you might have. Some apps should already have iOS 14-enabled updates.
Keep your connection secure with no monthly bills. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase in the new Gadget Hacks Shop and watch Hulu or Netflix with no regional restrictions.
Buy now (80% discount)>