If you're one of the 147 million people whose data was revealed in 201
To begin, you can verify that you and your information were disclosed as part of the security breach. Once your data has been disclosed, you collect receipts and other documents related to the hack that indicate losses and expenses. And finally, you submit your claim for damages. (The FTC said that due to thethe amount of cash you would receive for the And put Make sure you are the legitimate FTC settlement site: The FTC claimed that and have until January 22, 2020 to join the class action lawsuit.)
The violation led to hackers stealing credit card and driver's license information, Social Security numbers, addresses, dates of birth, and other personal information stored on Equifax's servers. As part of its investigation, the FTC alleged that the Free Credit Bureau had not taken adequate steps to secure its network.
Even if you were not involved in the breach and are not eligible to claim, you can receive free credit reports for seven years as part of the settlement.
Participation in the Equifax comparison is not possible. The exact amount that Equifax pays is undetermined. The proposed agreement will begin with a USD 300 million fund to compensate the affected consumers who have purchased credit monitoring services. Equifax will also pay $ 175 million to federal states and districts – and $ 100 million to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (BFS) in civil sanctions.
If the initial infusion of $ 300 million fails to adequately compensate consumers, the FTC has agreed that Equifax will invest another $ 125 million in the fund for a potential total payment of $ 700 million. If you are a beneficiary, your share of billing may include free credit monitoring and identity theft prevention services. You may also be eligible for cash payments to cover the costs incurred by the breach (such as attorney's fees and), as well as free assistance with identity theft recovery and free credit reports for 10 years.
How to participate in the billing.
Find out if you were affected by the security breach.
If you want to verify that your information has been disclosed, the FTC and the Official Clearing House have an online tool that you can use Use this option to check if you have been involved in the Equifax breach.
You must enter your last name and the last six digits of your social security number to see if your data was part of the hacking.
Preparing and Submitting Your Claim
The Equifax Data Breach Settlement website allows you to file a claim to recover money that you have lost or spent due to the large hack. So prepare yourself for a claim and submit it.
- In order to claim, you must collect all documents and evidence that you have in connection with the violation, for example, to report expenses that you should have incurred following an identity theft. Loss of money due to the breach.
- To track the comparison, the FTC suggests logging in to receive email updates.
- You can also check for updates on the FTC's Equifax Data Breach Settlement page and on the official Data Breach Settlement page.
- And the FTC has a number that you can call – (833) 759-2982 – for updates.
- You can file an online claim on the official billing page.
- You can also follow the instructions below As part of the application process, select which services to use and review what documents you need to submit to support your application. Supporting documents include information about unauthorized charges, the cost of freezing your account, fees paid to professionals to help with theft, and other associated costs.
What the Settlement Payments Can Cover
The proposed agreement provides for $ 20,000 of disbursements per person to cover the expenses you have incurred to remedy the breach. Here are the costs and expenses that you can possibly reimburse.
- Costs related to unauthorized charges on your accounts
- Costs for freezing a credit report and credit monitoring
- Fees for accountants, lawyers and other professionals
- Cost of postage, mileage, notary and other services  Fees related to credit monitoring, (But do not expect that you will get so much.)
- Cost of overseeing Equifax loans and other services for one year before the breach.
From 2020 Equifax will also provide services All US consumers – whether part of the comparison or not – with six additional free credit reports per year for seven years on their website.
When do I have to file a lawsuit?
The FTC has indicated that you must file your lawsuit by January 22, 2020, FTC said.
This is the information we know at the moment, with many details to come. We will update this story as soon as we learn more.