After years of rumors and waiting, Samsung's first folding smartphone is here. While losing the title of the first foldable phone to the Royole FlexPai, this is a far better design and a phone whose hardware and software will help bring the new form factor into the future. It's a bit wild, but it could be one of the most influential devices in years.
Samsung Galaxy Fold think the same way as the Samsung Galaxy S10 is unfair. This new form factor is causing growing pain, especially the software that is not currently fully optimized for a flexible display (although Samsung has worked with Google to ensure that Android is still fairly coherent). As in the early days of Android, the Galaxy Fold is a solid phone, but more for first-time users than for those looking to replace the Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9 +.
Jump to a section: Standout Functions | Dates | Storage | Price | Body | Basics | Software | Skin | Display | Performance | Battery | Front camera | Rear view camera | Audio | Media formats | Sensors | Connectivity | Security | Box contains | Accessories
The Galaxy Fold is Samsung's first folding mobile phone. In addition to a 4.6-inch mobile phone, which folds to a 7.3-inch tablet, it has amazing technical data, including 1
The Samsung Galaxy Fold was announced on February 20, 2019 alongside the Galaxy S10 series. It will be available from April 26th, with pre-orders from April 15th. On April 12, 2019, you were able to log in to preorder the device, but as of April 17, the Galaxy Fold was sold out. We will update this section when the phone is available for preorder.
- Release Date: April 26, 2019
- Pre-Order Date: April 15, 2019
- Announcement: Feb 20, 2019
The Galaxy Fold comes with 512 GB memory equipped. It uses the new UFS 3.0 standard, which has twice the bandwidth per track, which is two.
- Memory Available: 512 GB
- Expandable Memory: no
Remember, when $ 1,000 was considered a lot for a phone? Think again. The Samsung Galaxy Fold will be available for an unusual $ 1,980. While this award offers first-rate specifications across the board, it could be the most expensive phone to be released this year (with the exception of special issue variants).
- Price: $ 1,980
- Manufacturer: unknown
The Samsung Galaxy Fold comes in four colors: Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue , With the latter two colors you can combine the hinge for a unique look. Both Martian Green and Astro Blue can be delivered with a gold hinge or a Dark Silver hinge.
There are two physical buttons, the volume rocker and the on / off switch. The side-mounted fingerprint scanner also serves as a Bixby button, so you can accidentally access Bixby much.
- Frame: aluminum
- Finish: Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green, or Astro Blue
The Galaxy Fold resembles a book with front and back covers connected by the hinge. For this reason (and due to the limitations of foldable OLED plates) it is not perfectly flat when folded. Instead, it forms a triangle, with the 0.67 inch hinge being the thickest part and the 0.61 inch ends being slightly thinner. This also applies when unfolded because the frame is actually about 0.3 inches thicker than the screen.
Note that 9.28 ounces is also a fairly heavy phone. This is one of the heaviest phones on the market, increasing by 2-3 oz on average compared to other flagship phones. If weight is a problem, you may want to avoid this phone.
Although it will be officially available from AT & T and T-Mobile, the major bands will be supported for Verizon and Sprint. So if you want to use it on these networks, you can buy and bring the phone directly from Samsung.
- Height: 6.33 inches
- Width: 4.64 inches (unfolded), 2.48 inches (folded)
- Depth: 0.30 inches (unfolded) , 0.67 inches (folded)
- Weight: 9.28 ounces
- Dust / Water Resistance: unknown
- Supported Vehicles: Verizon (unofficial), Sprint (unofficial) , AT & T (official), T-Mobile (official)
- Infrared Blaster: No
The Galaxy Fold is running Android 9.0 Pie, the latest version of Android. There are about 40 changes with this new release, including a focus on improving privacy and security.
The One UI 1.0 from Samsung is running on Android 9.0 Pie. Replacing Samsung Experience, this skin brings a dramatic new design to the interface that better reflects Stock Android's design language. Nearly every Samsung app has been redesigned with this new look, including the phone app and the messaging app.
When the Galaxy Fold is folded, it has a rather small 4.6-inch display. This screen also has a low resolution of 1680×720 and an aspect ratio of 21: 9, the ratio of choice for most modern movies. Unlike the main display, it is a standard Super AMOLED device. Therefore, the quality of the Galaxy S9 and the Note 9 should be closer than the Galaxy S10 +.
However, if you are unfolded, you will find a 7.3-inch Dynamic AMOLED display. It has a resolution of 2152 x 1536 with an aspect ratio of 4.2: 3. There is a notch, but it is in the right corner instead of the typical center position.
- Screen Size: 7.3 Inches (unfolded), 4.6 Inches (Folded)
- Screen Resolution: 2152 x 1536 (unfolded), 1680 x 720 pixels (folded)
- Total pixels: 3,305,472 (unfolded), 1,209,600 pixels (folded),
- Pixel density: 399 ppi (unfolded), 362 ppi (folded)
- Screen Type: Dynamic AMOLED (not folded ), Super AMOLED (folded)
- Notch: Yes (not folded)
- Screen to Body Ratio: unknown
- Aspect Ratio: 4.2: 3 (unfolded), 21: 9 (folded),
- Minimum Brightness: unknown
- Maximum Brightness: unknown
- Refresh Rate: 60 Hz (also 60 Hz for touch sensors)
- Color Temperature: unknown
- Color gamut: unknown
Although this should be resolved across the board, we wanted to warn All early buyers of the Galaxy Fold that several test devices already have a few days of malfunction. The Verge's Dieter Bohn had a broken screen after just one day, while Mark Gurman and Steve Kovach had similar problems.
Some had dark black lines where the bend occurs While the screen flickered constantly, others experienced a slight curvature in the fold. As with all new technologies, there is growing pain, and foldable displays do not differ. However, considering that very few people have this phone in hand and we have already seen at least three reports of a screen error, this could be a common problem with the wrinkle. If you are on the fence for pre-orders, we recommend that you wait and see.
The Samsung Galaxy Fold is a powerhouse with a 7nm Octa core processor (depending on the market, either the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 or the Exynos 9820). and 12 GB of RAM. The latter will come in handy if you use the split-screen mode with three screens to interact with three apps simultaneously.
- RAM: 12 GB RAM
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- Chip Size: 7 nm
- CPU Frequency: 2.84 GHz (1 Gold) + 2.41 GHz (3 gold) + 1.78 GHz (4 silvers)
- CPU cores: ] 8 (4 gold + 4 silver)
- GPU: Adreno 640
By combining two batteries, Samsung can power the Galaxy Fold sufficiently without inventing any bendable batteries. These two batteries together offer an impressive 4,380 mAh. The 5G model will have a smaller battery at 4,235 mAh. It also supports fast charging via Samsung Adaptive Charging (Fast Charge 2.0) and fast charging via Qi.
- Battery: Two rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
- Capacity: 4,380 mAh (LTE) model), 4,235 mAh (5G model)
- Wired charging: Yes, Samsung Adaptive Charging
- Wireless charging: Yes, fast wireless charging
- Reverse Wireless Charing: Yes, PowerShare
The Galaxy Fold has a total of six cameras, three of which are after are directed forward. When folded, there is a single front camera with a ƒ / 2.2 aperture and a resolution of 10 MP. In the unfolded state, there are two more selfie cameras, including an 8 MP RGB depth camera. The unfolded selfie camera is a 10 MP shooter.
- Resolution: 10 MP (folded) + 10 MP and 8 MP (unfolded)
- Aperture: ƒ / 2.2 (folded) + ƒ / 2.2 and ƒ / 1.9 (unfolded)
- Zoom: unknown
- Flash: Screen Flash
- Image Stabilization: unknown
- RAW support: unknown
- Object recognition: unknown
- Formats: unknown
Located on the back a triple camera array that is very similar to the Galaxy S10 +. The main camera is a 16 megapixel camera with ƒ / 2.2 aperture. Next to it is an optically stabilized 12 MP wide-angle camera. Unlike the other two cameras, however, this camera is equipped with Dual Aperture technology, so it can be set between f / 1.5 or f / 2.4 depending on the situation. This lens also uses Samsung's new Super Speed Dual Pixel Auto Focus. Finally, there is a 12-megapixel telephoto camera, which is also optically stabilized and has an aperture of ƒ / 2.4.
With these lenses you can zoom between 0.5x and 10x, with all zooms being digital after 2x
- Resolution: 16 MP + 12 MP + 12 MP
- Sensor Size: unknown  Aperture: ƒ / 2,2 + ƒ / 1,5 / 2,4 + ƒ / 2,4  Zoom: Yes, 2x Optical, 10x Digital
- Flash: Yes, High CRI LED
- Image Stabilization: Yes, Wide Angle and Telephoto
- RAW Support: Yes
- Lens coverage: unknown
- Object recognition: unknown  Formats: JPEG, RAW
As far as the video recording is concerned, the Galaxy Fold is capable of the same peak performance that was previously only found in the Galaxy S10 series. These include 4K shooting at up to 60 frames per second, super slow motion at 960 frames per second for 0.4 seconds at 720p, 240 frames per second in slow motion video at 1080p, and more. The video recording is also stabilized electronically with what Samsung calls Video Digital Image Stabilization (or VDIS). The 10x digital zoom is available as well as the 0.5x optical 2x zoom.
- Resolution: 720p, 1080p, 2160p (4K)
- Max. Frame rate: 720p to 30 fps, 1080p to 60 fps, 4K to 60 fps
- Slow Motion: 120 fps at 720p and 1080p, 240 fps at 720p and 1080p, 480 fps at 720p (0.8s), 960 fps @ 720p (0.4s)
- Time Lapse: Yes, 1080p
- Photos: 9.1 MP (when shooting a 4K video)
- Zoom: 2x optical, 10x digital
- Flash access: Yes, High CRI LED Flash
- Image Stabilization: Yes, optical (tele, wide angle), digital (all lenses)
- Object recognition: unknown
- Autofocus: ] Yes, Tracking
- Audio: Stereo
- Formats: H.264, H.265 (HEVC)
The Galaxy Fold has Dolby speakers Atmos technology. It does not have a headphone jack, but comes with Samsung's Samsung Galaxy Buds for free.
- 3.5mm headphone jack: no
- Stereo Speakers: yes
- Microphones: unknown  Maximum Speaker Volume: unknown
The Samsung Galaxy Fold supports the usual list of audio and video files, including hi-fi audio files such as FLAC and higher quality video file types such as MKV.
- Audio: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF  Video: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
The fold supports the usual set of sensors. A unique addition is the RGB light sensor, which can be used to adjust the temperature of the display to your environment.
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Ambient Light: Yes
- Barometer: ] Yes
- Color Temperature: Yes
- Compass: Yes
- Gravity : no
- gyroscope: yes
- yes: yes
- ] infrared: no
- laser: no
- pedometer: no
- Proximity: yes
As far as satellite navigation systems in addition to QZSS the Galaxy Fold supports all popular navigation systems, which ensure a smooth user experience for locating worldwide.
- GPS: Yes
- AGPS: Yes
- Glonass: Yes
- BeiDou: ] yes
- Galileo: yes
- QZSS : no
The Galaxy Fold supports Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) and is backwards compatible with older Wi-Fi standards. It also supports Bluetooth 5. In addition, unlike some phones, it also supports Dual Audio, a feature added with Bluetooth 5 that lets you share your music with two different Bluetooth devices.
In mobile technology, both have an LTE model and a 5G model. The LTE model uses Cat.18 for download speeds of up to 1.2 Gbps and 150 Mbps upload speed. The 5G modem is a non-standalone Sub6 / mmWave.
The 5G model will be a single SIM phone, while the LTE model may be available in a dual SIM variant depending on the market.
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac / ax (2.4 / 5 GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM
- Bluetooth: 5.0
- NFC : yes
- nano-SIM, eSIM (LTE), nano-SIM (5G)
- Connector: USB-C
The Galaxy Fold uses a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. similar to the S10e. That way, you can easily decrypt your device when you collapse or collapse it. It has a Knox protection that protects the phone from manipulation of the hardware and software. Plus, McAfee offers free malware protection.
As with all new Samsung devices, you also have access to Secure Folder, an app that lets you place apps, photos, and videos separately in the trusted environment. They are accessible and accessible from the operating system.
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, Side Mounted
- Face Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Manual Authentication: ] Password, PIN, Passcode, Pattern, Swipe
In addition to your phone, charger, and cable, you get a free pair of Galaxy Buds to compensate for the missing headphones Jack. There is also a SIM eject tool and a narrow cover.
- Samsung Galaxy Fold
- Samsung Galaxy Buds
- USB Cable
- Samsung Samsung Adaptive Quick Charger
- SIM ejector PIN
- Quick Start Guide  Slim Cover