Many passengers are confused by ashtrays in aircraft cabins. Although smoking in commercial aircraft was phased out between 1
Despite the total ban on tobacco products, the plane struck the Varig Flight 820 in 1973. The flight between Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and Paris (France) was forced as an emergency landing about three miles from the airport by a fire was caused by a cigarette that was not properly disposed of in the aircraft's rear toilet. There were 123 dead and only eleven survivors.
In response to the tragedy, the FAA requested every US aircraft to install signs prohibiting smoking in the toilet, as well as a convenient place to dispose of cigarettes. The passenger ignored the rules and decided wisely that it was better to cope with a safe landing with the rule breaker than to risk another fire during the flight.