Why when Epic Games, the manufacturer of Fortnite, released the game for PS4, Xbox One, Mac, PC, Nintendo Switch ($ 311 at Walmart) and iPhone ($ 699 at Apple ) offers) ? Because Google cuts 30% of all in-app purchases that Epic didn't want to pay. Apple does the same in its app store, but actually hosts the game download.
2018: "On open platforms like PC, Mac and Android, Epic's goal is we believe gamers will benefit from the competition between software sources on Android."
Epic has found a clever, if risky, way to bring the game to most Android phones without using the Google app save: sideload. When loading pages, an app is installed from a location other than the official app store. in this case Google Play. You need to bypass your phone's security to install the app. This may make your device vulnerable to malware or viruses. And that's a pretty big disadvantage. For me, no game or app is worth such a risk. The growing popularity of Fortnite allows Epic Games to go that route.
Read moreand .
Here is an overview of loading Fortnite on an Android phone: install Epic Games APK, install Epic Games app, install Fortnite app, install Fortnite. Watch the video below to follow our step-by-step guide.
Determine if your phone is Fortnite compatible.
Unfortunately, not all Android phones can handle Fortnite. To run Fortnite, the following is required:
- Android 8.0 or higher
- At least 4 GB RAM
- Running 64-bit apps
- One of the following GPUs: Adreno 530 or higher, Mali-G71 MP20, Mali-G72 MP12 or higher
Basically you need a higher quality phone like a Galaxy S8 (USD 330 at Amazon) or newer or a LG G5 (USD 189 at Amazon) or new. In other words, a budget phone like the Motorola Moto G7 ($ 150 at Walmart) doesn't do it.
When you go to the Epic website from your Android phone, there is a list of supported devices.
Download the Epic Games APK file
In order to download Fortnite to your phone, you need to download the EpicGamesApp.apk file. APK stands for Android Package Kit and is used to distribute and install apps.
There are several ways to get it. If you have a Samsung phone, go to the Galaxy Store app and download it there. If you have a newer Sony Xperia phone, you should see an icon on the home screen. Otherwise, search for Fortnite Android in your phone's browser and go to the Epic website. Tap the yellow button Download and follow the instructions. By the way: on a PC Mac, you can go to Epic's Android page and use the QR code to get the same APK file.
Download the Android app from Epic Games
1. Start downloading the EpicGamesApp APK file. A warning will appear asking you to approve the download.
2. Open the APK file by going to the download folder of your browser (e.g. Chrome downloads) and tapping on the EpicGamesApp.apk file. A pop-up window warns you: "For security reasons, your phone must not install unknown apps from this source."
3. You will be asked to update your browser settings so that you can open the APK file "Install unknown apps – allow from this source".
4. A pop-up window saying "Do you want to install this application? No special access is required." Approve downloading the Epic Games app.
Download the Fortnite app
1. Open the Epic Games app and tap the Fortnite banner.
2. You can either install the Fortnite app or learn that your device is not compatible.
3. If your device is compatible, tap the Install button.
4. A pop-up window informs you that the game is taking up space on your phone.
5. Let Epic access photos, media, and files on your device. The Fortnite app is installed. This can take a few minutes.
6. A security window for Epic Games opens. To install Fortnite you have to activate "Allow from source code".
7. Another window appears asking you to install Fornite. Click Install .
Install Fornite for Android
1. Open the Fortnite app and enable app access to storage, contacts, and microphone.
2. If your phone is running a new version of Android, e.g. For example, Pixel 4 with Android 10, you may see a window informing you that Fortnite was designed for an older version of Android.
3. Sign in to your Epic Games account.
4. Finally, you will be prompted to install the game, which uses 5.63 GB of space.
5. Play the game.
6. Fortnite may need to download additional high resolution photos. Otherwise you should be able to play Fortnite!
You won't be prompted, but once you're started, it's a good idea to uncheck the "Allow from source code" option. This way you can prevent malware and viruses from gaining a foothold.
Go to Settings> Apps and Notifications> Advanced> Special App Access> Install Unknown Apps and select Epic Games . , Then slide the Allow From This Device button to Off.
Learn more :.
Originally published earlier this month.