Fortnite Chapter 2 brought new energy into the Battle Royale game as well as new people. With so many changes made by developer Epic Games, now is a great time for new players to join and for returning players to see what it's all about.
Where can I download Fortnite?
Fortnite is a free game, meaning you just have to download it to play it.
Epic has released the game on virtually every available platform. PC and Mac users can download the installer from the Fortnite website. Owners of Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One can download the game through the console's Game Store. Android users must download the game from the Epic website, while iOS users can download the game from the Apple App Store. On some platforms, players need an Epic account that can be purchased through the company's website.
Although the game is free, there are things that have a price. V-Bucks are the currency in the game where you buy outfits, also called skins, as well as dances, gliders and other cosmetics. All 1
There is also a Battle Pass available each season. The pass costs 950 V-bucks or $ 9.50 and unlocks in-game content as you play and reach certain goals, called challenges, over the course of the 10-week season.
Ready to Discard
After selecting a character and mode – singles, duets, or teams – – Players start each game on Spawn Island while the Epic system puts together 100 fighters. On this island you can walk around, dance, pick up items or just wait, but what you do or collect here is not transferred into the game. Once all players are ready, they are transported to the Battle Bus, a flying blue school bus that brings the players to the island where the actual gameplay takes place.
The Battle Bus takes a different route across the island at the beginning of each match. You can decide when you want to jump off or you will be forced to dismount as soon as the bus has completed its journey over the map. After a short period of parachute landing, everyone lands on the island. Once you arrive, you must purchase weapons, items and materials to survive the other competitors.
But not only other players have to worry. After five minutes, a storm on the island. Those caught in the storm are dealt damage every second. During the game, the storm circle gets smaller and causes more damage. Therefore, it is important to avoid it as much as possible.
When you have left, you can watch the rest of the game or return to the lobby to start another game. If you survive all others, you win the Victory Royale.
Learning how to sit on the bench
Fortnite has three control schemes: video game controllers, touch controls on mobile devices, and mouse and keyboard. Of the three schemes, the mouse and keyboard are generally considered the best option, as a mouse provides better accuracy when recording. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to customize the function of a keyboard or mouse key. For example, the default shooting button is the left mouse button, but some players change this button to build a wall instead. Finding the ideal keyboard shortcuts saves valuable time during a game.
As a third-person perspective shooter, you see your avatar on the screen and not many other shooters in the first person. One hand is used to move the character while the other is aiming. If a weapon is equipped, it is best to aim at the target before shooting (the button is different on each platform) to make the shot more accurate. Grenades and other throwing weapons change the display on the screen from a crosshair to a bow and indicate where your weapon will land.
If you played a modern shooter, these controls are familiar. However, it is the next section that truly distinguishes Fortnite from all other games.
Building, Baby, Build
In a match, players can build structures to defend themselves, reach certain areas, or gain the upper hand over an opponent. It's just as important, if not more important, than being able to shoot accurately.
Players are equipped with a pickaxe or harvesting tool by default at the beginning of each game. It only inflicts minimal damage on opponents, but is important because it allows you to acquire materials. Almost everything on the island can be destroyed with a harvesting tool that supplies either wood, metal or stone, sometimes called brick. These three materials are used for construction and are robust, with wood being the weakest and brick the strongest.
Four basic structures are available for building: walls, floors, stairs and roofs. For the creation of each 10 required materials. The complete construction takes a few seconds. Once created, they can be completely or partially removed via the Edit button (more on that below). Other players can destroy things that you have built with different weapons. That's why it's important to decide which material to use. A stone wall does more damage than a wooden wall.
The most common approach to building is the construction of a fortress, as the name of the game implies. This provides some bullet protection and gives you a better view of your opponents. In most cases you will build to defend yourself. Professional players, on the other hand, can build for defense as well as offense. An example of offensive building is building a structure around other players to trap them.
Building is crucial to being a good Fortnite player. Practice regularly until you can do it seamlessly.
Other Useful Strategies
Now that you know how to play, here are some tips for getting better.
- Drop Off Information – The island is large and these places, also known as Points of Interest, usually have more chests of weapons, healing items and other equipment. They can be left open or hidden in certain places. Familiarize yourself with the map and know where you are going after leaving the Battle Bus. You want to go to a place where you can search for items as soon as possible.
- Knowing Which Weapon Works Best – Fortnite has five primary weapons: pistols, shotguns, machine guns, assault rifles and sniper rifles. Pistols are rarely the ideal weapon for a match, but they are better than nothing. Shotguns cause great damage and can drop opponents with one shot if you are close enough. SMGs fire fast, but lose accuracy the farther away you are. Assault rifles can cause significant damage from a distance and up close. Sniper rifles deal great damage from a great distance if you can get a headshot.
- Continue – Fortnite provides a playground mode that allows players to enter the island outside of a traditional game. This is a great way to explore the island and learn how to build without giving up the pressure.
- Learn Editing – Editing is an advanced component of building. You can edit a wall to create an opening for a clear shot of another player, or you can quickly replace a structure before it is destroyed. These are the skills available to professional players.
- Make the control yourself. – Each platform has a default control scheme, but Epic offers several other options for players who want to toggle the buttons they want to press. Try them all out to see what feels most comfortable.
- Check out the pros – If you have not already, check out some Fortnite pros. Top players from around the world play the game throughout the day. See where they land, what they do, when they land, what weapons they prefer, what they build and how they deal with the last powerful minutes of a match.