Samsung decided to enter the foldable category early on and announced the Galaxy Fold in February 2019. After a big hiccup, Samsung released the phone four months later to praise it. However, Samsung is not yet finished with foldable devices, as the new Galaxy Z Flip is just on the horizon.
Samsung announced the new foldable smartphone alongside the Galaxy S20, S20 + and S20 Ultra. In contrast to the fold, the Z Flip borrows a design from the past and uses a clamshell style that is reminiscent of flip phones from the early 2000s. And although it's not cheap, it has the lowest price of any foldable phone on the market.
Jump to a section: Outstanding Features | Dates | Storage | Price | Body | Basics Software | Skin | Display | Performance | Battery | Front camera | Rear view camera | Audio | Media formats | Sensors | Connectivity | Security | Box contains
While the Galaxy Z Flip lacks the latest SoC from Qualcomm, it still uses the most powerful SoC of a foldable phone, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+. In contrast to the Motorola RAZR, a phone with a similar design, a foldable glass screen is used, which is known as Ultra Thin Glass. At $ 1,380, it's also the cheapest foldable smartphone on the market.
The Galaxy Z Flip was announced on February 11th, along with the Galaxy S20 series in San Francisco, CA. There is no pre-order date because the phone will be released three days after the Valentine's Day (February 14) announcement date.
- Release Date: February 14, 2020
- Pre-Order Date: None
- Announcement Date: February 11, 2020
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has a storage option, 256 GB. And like the Galaxy Fold, there is no support for microSD cards.
- Memory available: 256 GB
- Expandable memory: no
- Standard: UFS 3.0
The price for the Galaxy Z Flip is $ 1,380, which is slightly undercut by the Motorola RAZR. It is currently the cheapest foldable phone, but it is still about 40% more than a comparable phone with a non-foldable screen.
Unlike the Galaxy Fold, the Galaxy Z Flip will use an ultra-thin glass on the Z Flip. If the glass is less than 100 microns thick, it can be folded reliably. The glass that Samsung uses here (developed by Dolnsys) is only 30 microns in size so you can be sure that it won't tear when you close the phone.
The Z Flip is available in three colors: Mirror Black, Spiegel Lila and Spiegel Gold.
- Frame: Aluminum, Glass (Gorilla Glass 6)
- Surface: Mirror Purple, Mirror Black, Mirror Gold
One of the best things about this design is the ability compress the phone to a smaller footprint when not in use. When folded, the phone is only 3.44 cm long and 2.90 cm wide. And due to the clamshell design, the length only increases (6.61 inches) when unfolded. It is worth noting that the hinge section is thicker than the bottom edge when folded.
- Height: 3.44 inches (folded) 6.59 inches (unfolded)
- Width: 2.90 inches
- Depth: ] 0.68 inches (folded) 0.28 inches (unfolded)
- Weight: 6.46 ounces
- Dust / water resistance: Unknown
- Supported carriers: Verizon, AT & T, T-Mobile , Sprint
- Infrared Blaster: Unknown
Just like the Galaxy S20 series, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip runs the latest version of Android. Android 10 provides native support for foldable displays, which means apps can scale to the new design more easily.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip runs on One UI 2, the latest version of Samsung's skin that runs on Android 10.
In addition to the software, there is the new Flex mode. To activate, simply set the phone to 90 ° where it can be locked (in addition to 180 °). For apps that support this (e.g. the camera app), the controls are moved to the lower half and the media to the upper half.
Like the Galaxy Fold, the Z Flip has two displays, a 6 , 7-inch main screen and a 1.06-inch external display. The external display, which is called the cover screen, is a Super AMOLED panel with a resolution of 300 x 116, which shows the time, charging speeds, battery information and various notifications (basically it functions as an always-on display) which is not a display) longer possible with the foldable design). You can even use this display for selfies and use the screen as a very small viewfinder if you wish.
The main display has a resolution of 2636 x 1080 and a new aspect ratio of 22: 9. It will use a hole-hole design to accommodate a centered front camera similar to the Galaxy S20 series. The screen uses the newer Dynamic AMOLED panel, the Super AMOLED with HDR10 +. HDR10 + is the latest highly dynamic format that uses dynamic metadata to adjust the brightness limits for each image so that all images are at optimal brightness.
- Screen size: 6.7 inches (unfolded) , 1.1 inches (folded)
- Screen resolution: 2636 x 1080 (unfolded), 300 x 112 (folded)
- Total pixels: 2,846,880 pixels (unfolded), 34,800 (folded)  Pixel density: 425 ppi (unfolded), 303 ppi (folded)
- Screen type: Dynamic AMOLED (unfolded), Super AMOLED (folded)
- Notch: no
- pothole : yes (folded)
- Screen-to-body ratio: Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
- Aspect ratio: 21.9: 9 (unfolded), 2, 59: 1 (folded)
- Minimum brightness: Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
- Maximum brightness: U Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
- Update rate: 60 Hz (60 Hz for touch detection)
- Color temperature: Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
- Color range: Unknown (Unfolded), Unknown (Folded)
One aspect of the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip that fans may not like is the use of The Flagship of 2019, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+. The 855 Plus is identical to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, but with a slight overclocking on both the CPU and GPU sides for better gaming performance. It uses a 7 nm process for improved energy efficiency.
RAM is more than sufficient for most 8 GB users. However, due to the older SoC, the older LPRDDR4 standard is used instead of the LPRDDR5 of the Galaxy S20 series.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+  Chip size: 7 nanometers
- CPU frequency: 2.95 GHz (gold) + 2.41 GHz (gold) + 1.78 GHz (silver)
- CPU cores: 8 (4 gold +) 4 silver)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- GPU- Frequency: 672 MHz
With two batteries, the Galaxy Z Flip has a total capacity of 3,300 mAh. In contrast to the Galaxy S20 series, fast charging is limited to Adaptive Fast Charging from Samsung, a technology based on Quick Charge 2.0 with a maximum power of 15 W. It also supports wireless charging via Qi charging, but at a speed of 9 W.
- Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion
- Capacity: 3300 mAh, 3.86 volts (12.7 Watt hours)
- Wired charging: Yes, adaptive fast charging 15 W
- Wireless charging: Yes, Qi charging (9 W)
- Reverse wireless charging: Yes, PowerShare
The front camera is in a hole on the main display. We suspect that it is the same Sony IMX374 camera that can also be found in the Galaxy Fold. So far, however, this has not been confirmed. Similar specifications are used in both cases (10 MP, aperture 1: 2.4, field of view 80 ° and pixel size 1.22 µm). For videos, you can record up to 4K at 30 fps.
- Resolution: 10 MP
- Aperture: 1: 2.4
- Pixel size: 1.22 µm
- Sensor size: 1 / 3.2 "
- Zoom: no
- Flash: yes, screen flash
- Image stabilization: no
- RAW support: yes  Object detection: Yes, face  Formats: JPEG, RAW
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has two rear-view cameras, each camera has 12 MP, one of which has a wide-angle lens and the other an ultra-wide-angle lens. The main camera has one Aperture of 1: 1.8 and a field of view of 78 °, while the ultra wide lens has an aperture of 1: 2.2 and a field of 1: 2.2 has a view of 123 ° Flash built in. OIS is only available for the primary (wide angle) camera.
- Resolution: 12 MP (primary), 12 MP (ultra wide)
- Sensor size: Unknown
- Apert Figure: 1: 1.8 (primary), 1: 2.2 (ultra wide)
- Zoom: Yes, 1x optical, 8x digital
- flash: yes, LED with high CRI  image stabilization: yes, primary
- RAW support : yes
- lens cap: sapphire glass  Object detection: yes, groceries, faces
- Formats: JPEG, RAW
The maximum resolution for video recording is 4K at 60 fps. HDR10 + is also supported for video recordings. There is support for super slow motion (up to 960 fps), but video recording is limited to 0.4 seconds (this time doubles to 0.8 seconds if you lower the frame rate to 480 fps). Super Steady, Samsung's improved stabilization, is also available when shooting at 1080p or lower resolution.
- Resolution: 720p, 1080p, 4K
- Maximum frame rate: 720p at 30 fps, 1080p at 60 fps, 4K at 60 fps
- Slow motion: 720p at 960 fps, 1080p @ 240 fps (limited duration)
- Time Lapse: yes, 1080p
- Photos: yes, 9.1 MP still images during 4K recording
- Zoom: Yes, 8 -fold digital zoom
- Flash access: Yes, see above
- Image stabilization: Yes, VDIS (digital video image stabilization))
- Object detection: Unknown
- Auto focus: Tracking AF
- Audio: Stereo
- Formats: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC)
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has a single one Mono speaker at the bottom of the phone. For Bluetooth and USB-C headphones, you can add surround sound with Dolby Atmos. For those who love hi-fi sound, the Galaxy Z Flip supports up to 32-bit audio.
- 3.5mm headphone jack: no
- Stereo speakers: Yes, front and bottom firing  Microphones: Unknown
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip uses the same audio and file formats as the Galaxy S20 series.
- Audio: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
- Video: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
The usual range of sensors is available in the Galaxy Z Flip.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, barometer, gyro sensor, geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, proximity sensor, RGB light sensor
The Galaxy Z Flip does not support dual-frequency satellite navigation. Coverage via Galileo and BeiDou satellite navigation systems is also limited.
- GPS: Yes, L1
- aGPS: Yes
- Glonass: Yes, L1
- BeiDou: yes, B1
- Galileo: yes, E1
- QZSS: no
The Galaxy Z Flip is limited to Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac). NFC is on board as well as a USB Type-C port for cable connections. The Galaxy Z Flip is a dual SIM device that uses both an eSIM and a nano SIM.
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac
- Bluetooth: 5.0  NFC: yes
- Cellular: eSIM and Nano- SIM
- Port: USB Type C
How the Galaxy Fold will Use a fingerprint scanner on the side. There is also a non-3D face unlock with the front-facing camera (in the camera in the hole).
As usual, Knox is on board for software and hardware security to protect against manipulation and other attacks. There is an integrated anti-virus scanner from McAfee. The secure folder is available to separate confidential files and other data from the rest of the data.
- Fingerprint scanner: Yes, mounted on the side (capacitive)
- Face scanner: No  Iris scanner: no
- Manual authentication: Password, PIN, pattern, Wipe
The Galaxy Z Flip comes with a protective case and AKG USB-C earphones.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
- Data cable
- Travel adapter
- Ejection pin
- USB connector (OTG)
- Quick guide
- Clear cover
- Headphones (USB type -C) with sound by AKG
Become an Android phone expert with our ultimate guide to Android eBooks
Buy Now for $ 1.00>