The planet is pretty bad. Theand . Iceland recently held a funeral for . One million species are threatened with extinction and some . We are living in a crisis ̵
If you want to know what, when and where the global climate change strikes took place in September, we've prepared it for you.
What is the climate change strike?
When the Swedish student Greta Thunberg sat in front of her With her hand-painted sign "Skolstrejk för klimatet" she launched a worldwide movement in the Swedish Parliament building. It was not the first time that schoolchildren left school to demand change, but Thunberg's one-person strike on Parliament's stages attracted worldwide attention. On the eve of the Swedish elections in 2018, she would miss the class to protest and sign.
Thunberg has become the face of the new movement, inspiring students around the world to leave school and demand action against climate change. In Marchtook to the streets and asked adults to take responsibility for the climate crisis. Minor strikes occurred in May, June and August.
The next series of strikes will be the biggest ever. Pupils and adults will be leaving their schools and workplaces to demand an "end to the fossil fuel age".
When is the Climate Strike?
The impending strikes take place on two consecutive Fridays, which coincide with an emergency climate summit at the United Nations in New York, which begins on September 23.
Thunberg itself will take part in the New York climate strike on 20 September, but no matter where you are in the world, a climate strike near you is likely .
Where can I join a strike?
A The Global Climate Strike website has registered a huge number of strikes, so this is a good place to start looking for a nearby climate change strike Major strikes in the US, UK, and Australia are listed below: All times are local.
- New York City: 12:00 pm @ F oley Square, 1 Federal Plaza
- Boston: 11:30 am @ Boston City Hall Plaza, 1 City Hall Square
- Chicago: 11:00 pm @ Grant Park, 337 E Randolph St
- Philadelphia: 12 pm @ Philadelphia City Hall, 1400 John F. Kennedy Blvd
- Washington DC.: 11 pm @ John Marshall Park, on the way to Capitol Hill
- Los Angeles: 12.00 @ Pershing Square, 532 South Olive Street
- San Francisco: 9 pm in Nancy Pelosis Office, San Francisco Federal Building, 90 7th St
[Seattle: 9 am @ Cal Anderson Park, 1635 11th Ave
- Portland: 10:30 am @ Portland City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Avenue
The British Student Climate Network has one With the handy "Find a Strike" feature on the site you just have to enter your zip code and it will list E events are displayed. The major attack will take place in London and begin near the Palace of Westminster along the Thames. Many marches and rallies take place throughout the city.
- London: 11.00 at Millbank, Westminster
- Birmingham: 11.00 at Victoria Square
- Manchester: 10.00 at Manchester Central Library, St. Peter's Square
- Edinburgh: 11 O'clock @ Middle Meadow Walk at The Meadows
- Glasgow: 11 O'clock @ Kelvingrove Park, 6 Professors' Square
There are eight major events taking place in the capitals of Australia.
- Adelaide: 12pm @ Victoria Square
- Brisbane: 1pm @ Queens Gardens
- Canberra: 12pm @ Glebe Park
- Darwin: 1pm @ Parliament House
- Hobart: 12pm @ Parliament Lawns
- Melbourne: 2pm @ Treasury Gardens
- Perth: 11pm @ Forrest Place
- Sydney: 12.00 19.00 @ The Domain
The location for many regional strikes in Australia can be found at School Strike 4 Climate.