Gmail's new planning feature is here, and it may be the best thing that email has done since sliced bread (we're pretty sure this is definitely an issue that affects emails). If you have not used it, you will miss it. This new tool will keep you from being the silent misanthrope that sends emails over the weekend. Instead, you look like you have a productive morning fueled by too much red-eye coffee.
The new schedule sending tools do exactly what they say, so you can schedule. This means that you do not have to save the message as a draft and resend it later. It's very similar to Boomerang if you used this browser extension, except that it's built right into Gmail, which makes it a million times more practical. You can schedule emails up to 49 years in advance (a great way to say Happy Birthday every year).
Planning your emails for future delivery is useful if you:
- strategically send an email to get a good result when your recipient is in a different time zone [1
- You want to look thoughtful (by sending an e-mail) a friend's birthday as soon as you remember it, or productively (by sending e-mail at 8 in the morning on a Monday morning)
Plan Gmail messages now works on both your phone and desktop. In the browser, look for the arrow with the submit button or the stacked three dots in the app.
How to get started:
In Gmail in your browser
When you're done composing your email and you're ready to create a schedule, do the following:
1. Find the drop-down arrow next to the button " Send".
2. Click on the arrow and then on Send Plan .
3. A menu is displayed where you can select the date and time to send the e-mail.
4. Select the time and click Plan Send . The bottom left corner displays a message box labeled "Planned to send for …", in which you can press the undo button if you made a mistake or viewed the message.
Using the Gmail app on your phone or tablet
1. If you use the Gmail app to send an e-mail, look for the stacked three dots in the upper-right corner.
2. Tap the dots and select Send Schedule .
3. From there appears a menu and you can add the date and time of your shipment.
4. Click Schedule send . The lower left corner displays a message box labeled "Scheduled Submit for …". You can undo the action or view your message.
What happens if I need to update or delete the email?
If you choose, you still do not want to send the email. You can still delete them as long as you reach them before the scheduled time.
Simply click Planned in the main menu, select the email you want to delete and select Cancel Send .
If you want to update the time or date the email is scheduled to send, cancel the email. A draft is displayed where you can edit the contents of the e-mail and repeat the above steps.
Originally published on April 11 at 4 am, PT.