MESA, AZ (3TV / CBS 5) – Police say someone in a small SUV opened fire on families at a food truck event Friday night, injuring seven people, including four children.
“They crossed the line. They shot children. That is unacceptable,” said Ken Cost, police chief of Mesa, during a press conference on Saturday afternoon.
According to Cost, food trucks were set up near Dobson and Guadalupe Streets. At around 9:30 p.m., a white Kia Soul SUV or small box pulled up on Guadalupe Road and opened fire on the families who were eating.
“One of the workers on the stands saw this and returned fire on the vehicle,”
The driver started on Guadalupe and Tempe. According to Cost, detectives don’t know if the SUV has been hit or not. No suspicious description was published.
The four injured children were 1, 6, 9 and 16 years old. The costs did not reveal the age of the adults or the sexes of the injured. The 1 year old is in extremely critical condition while the others have suffered severe to minor injuries and are expected to survive.
Earlier that evening, Cost said there was a man attacking a woman and one of the food truck sellers and other customers broke up the fight. The man has left and investigators are investigating whether this is related to the shooting.
The Mesa police are asking for public help and for witnesses to provide photos and videos.
“There are people who know the suspects who committed this crime. They know who the shooters are,” said Cost.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Mesa Police Department at 480-644-2211.
Mesa PD is currently investigating an incident in Dobson and Guadalupe. Please avoid the area if possible.
– Mesa Police Dept. (@MesaPD) October 17, 2020
Copyright 2020 KPHO / KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.