UPDATE, 1:34 p.m .: The night of the devil is again in the city of angels.
Less than a day after the Los Angeles Department of Health closed Halloween due to the risk of the coronavirus pandemic, which is still strong, they put on a new costume. In a press conference that is still ongoing, LACPD Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer, the guidelines have now been “revised”.
Previously not allowed, trick or door-to-door treatment and “trunk or treating” from car to car are only recommended by the county. While COVID-19 remains a serious problem in Südland, there is a sudden shift as many parents and businesses have been brought to their knees in outrage over the prospect of keeping the little ones indoors on October 31
California Coronavirus Update: Governor Gavin Newsom’s new reopening guidelines are causing confusion
Consistent with general social restrictions, and although most attendees will likely be wearing masks, “Halloween gatherings, events, or parties with non-household members are not permitted, even if conducted outdoors.” Also, “Carnivals, festivals, live Entertainment and haunted house attractions are not allowed ”.
PREVIOUS, 11:02 AM: There’s still no official word on the fate of big Thanksgiving family dinners, but Halloween is definitely closed this year in Los Angeles due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
“Door-to-door trick or treat is not allowed as it can be very difficult to maintain adequate social distance on porches and front doors, especially in trick or treat popular areas,” the LA County Department of Health said in a published manual Tuesday evening shortly before the witch lesson (read here).
Additionally, “trunk or handling incidents” where children go from car to car instead of door to door to get goodies are currently not allowed, “the health department said. “Gatherings or parties with non-household members are not permitted, even if they are held outdoors,” LACPH adds. “Carnivals, festivals, live entertainment, and haunted house attractions are not allowed.”
Even if COVID-19 has been declining lately in the hardest hit region, the official closing of the door on October 31st isn’t a big surprise, despite being almost two months away.
While Griffith Parks Haunted Hayride can still be seen as a drive-up experience on a 40-foot screen for the time being, other local annual events like Epic Entertainments The Queen Marys Dark Harbor in Long Beach and Knotts Berry Farms Halloween Hunt became earlier this summer announced that they would be dark because of the virus. And of course the still closed Universal Studios made it clear in July that the spacious and well-attended Halloween Horror Nights will not take place in the theme parks on the west coast or in Florida.
“Universal Studios Hollywood continues to face ongoing business restrictions and uncertainties regarding the opening period,” said the Comcast company earlier this summer about the still-closed LA park. “Universal Orlando Resort will focus solely on operating its day-visitor theme parks using the improved health and safety procedures in place.”
While kids don’t knock on doors and families visit theme parks and immersive experiences this year, Los Angeles County will allow “Halloween Decorations to Dress Up Homes and Courtyards”. “Online parties”, “Halloween movie nights in the theater”, “Halloween themed meals in outdoor restaurants”, “Halloween art installations in an open-air museum” and “car parades” are now still okay this morning.
As of 7:00 a.m. PT on September 7, LA County has 439 new cases of COVID-19 (including data from the Long Beach and Pasadena health departments) for a total of 249,241 confirmed cases since the pandemic started earlier this year. There have been a total of 6,036 deaths in the region, with seven new deaths reported as of September 8.