Samsung introduced the Bixby button on the Samsung Galaxy S8 device family. This is useful for basic things like taking screenshots or setting reminders. But it's also a button that you can accidentally hit hard on, and the general consensus is that Google Assistant is simply better. Samsung heard the criticism and introduced the reassignment of the Bixby buttons with the update for Android 9.0 Pie and One UI.
In this tutorial, we'll show you how to remap the Bixby button on all compatible Samsung Galaxy devices.
Compatible Samsung Devices
These methods should work on the latest Samsung devices. The device requires a One interface and the Android 9.0 Pie Update. Otherwise it will not work at all. The following devices should be able to use this tutorial:
How to remap the Bixby button natively
You can use the Bixby software with the stock software Reassign the button without third-party software. Just make sure your Bixby Voice app – which can be accessed by pressing the Bixby button once – is up-to-date and ready to roll. The first method is the one you've probably read everywhere.
- Open the Bixby Voice app by pressing the Bixby button once.
- Tap the 3-dot menu button, click Settings, and navigate to the Bixby key option.
- Select the double-press option to open the Bixby option. Underneath is the option to open an app or use a quick command with a single touch of a button. Select the app option.
- Select the desired app from the list of available apps.
That's it! From now on, a single press will open your custom app or custom command, while double-taping the traditional Bixby app. You can still use Bixby Voice with a double tap and hold. You can also swap the actions "Simple" and "Double press" if you want. Just repeat the above steps and select Single Press to open Bixby and configure your app or command accordingly.
Using the button to open an app is great. However, we have found that Quick Commands have a little to be desired when used in the real world.
We recommend the first method to people who do not really like Bixby and want to hide them as much as possible. The second method is still a great option for those who use Bixby and want to add some functionality by pressing them twice. In our tests, we used the extra feature to open Samsung Pay or the camera.
There are some limitations. You can not directly select Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. All other apps should be available. We also recommend that you avoid the quick commands unless you really want them. We found her slow and a bit clunky.
How to Turn the Button to Google Assistant
Users like to remap the Bixby Button with Google Assistant. You can not use the above method, but there is an alternative way to get what you want:
- Download the Bixby Button Assistant Remapper app from XDA-Developers . Install it like any other APK from another manufacturer on your device. If you need help, you can find our tutorial here.
- Repeat the above steps as if you were selecting an app on your phone. This time, however, select the Bixby Button Assistant Remapper from your app selection.
- Press the Bixby key to execute the command for the first time. You will be asked which wizard app you want to use. Select the "Google Assistant" option and tap the "Always" button.
This has been proven in our tests and you do not have to bother with anything as soon as it runs. We're not thrilled that Samsung enforces this workaround, but installing a third party APK is not the worst workaround ever.
There is a second method that lets you open a wizard app using Bixby's Quick Commands. However, we found that this method was awkward, inconsistent and slow. We recommend using a third-party APK method.
Reassigning Bixby to apps from Google Play
There is one last method to reassign the Bixby button. This uses third-party apps from the Play Store to change the Bixby button's functionality. It's not as clean as Samsung's method. However, these apps can perform the functions of the native solution. Some examples are the remapping of the volume keys, the Bixby key to turn the flashlight on and off, and even control your music.
Bixbi Button Remapper is one of our favorites. It's free and contains some fun features. Button Remapper works with a bunch of buttons, but also supports Bixby. Search the Play Store for more information if one of them does not work.
Which apps or commands should the Bixby button be used for? Tell us about it in the comments!