Millions of people have used the Zoom Video Chat app to work during thisand to study. And many have discovered a fun little environment that turns your video background from the room behind you into space or the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. You can even upload a photo to customize your own.
For the most part, Zoom ̵
Note, however, that your caller will notice breaks in the background if you tend to gesticulate a lot or rock back in your chair, or if a headstrong puppy or child lands on your lap during your call. Don't worry, they will be fixed shortly.
Read more: 7 free video chat apps that you can use when you distance yourself socially.
Change your zoom background in the desktop app.
1. In the zoom app, click on your profile in the top right and then on Settings .
2. Click Virtual Background in the menu on the left.
3. You'll see some of the standard background options provided by Zoom, including a space scene or blades of grass. You can select one of them by clicking on it. This will also automatically change your screen. There is also an option if you have a green screen and want to use it.
4. If you want to upload a photo to be used as the background, click the + icon on the same virtual background page next to the label Select virtual background . . A field appears in which you can upload a photo from your computer. Click on the picture you want. It will appear next to the other images as an option to choose from.
5. Tap the X in the upper left corner to remove the photos you uploaded.
Change your zoom background in the mobile app
1. When you log in to your account and join a meeting, tap the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to open the More menu.
2. Tap Virtual Background .
3. Choose a background from the standard options or upload your own.
Read more: Ultimate webcam tips: How to watch and sound great online
Another zoom tip: adding a beauty filter
You have probably heard all the work from home – wake up on time, shower, get dressed as if it were a day at the office. But if it's one of those days when you don't think you look best, Zoom has an answer: a feature called Touch Up My Appearance. Basically, it's a blur filter like the one you find on Instagram, FaceTune or your phone's selfie camera.
To turn it on, click the up arrow next to Start Video . Click Video Settings and under My Video, check the box for Touch Up My Appearance . That's it!
For more tips to help you overcome social distance and self-quarantine, see our guide to everything you need to stay healthy and entertained while practicing social distance, and all the practical tips to avoid of corona viruses when leaving the house.