Whether you like to play on a PC or console, or are an occasional mobile player, it is undisputed that some games work best with one controller. The PS4 DualShock controller is high on the list for many thanks to its sleek frame, comfortable fit and great feedback. That's why in this article, we'll show you how to use a PlayStation 4 controller regardless of the game platform you choose.
How to pair a PS4 controller with your PlayStation 4
If you've damaged your PS4 controller In a tantrum after countless deaths at various Bloodborne bosses, it's time for a replacement. How do you pair your new DualShock 4 with your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 4 Pro? It's very easy. Here's what you need to do:
- Find the original Micro USB cable that came with your PlayStation console. This is the cable that you normally use to charge your PS4 controllers.
- Connect the cable to your console and then connect it to the DualShock 4 controller you want to pair.
- Press the PlayStation button in the center of the controller. If the pairing was successful, the light bar should be lit steadily without flashing. Do not bother about the color – it will change depending on the number of currently paired controllers.
- If your controller is already charged, just pull it out and enjoy your favorite game.
How to Pair Your PS4 Controller to a Windows PC
The best thing about PC games is the free choice and variety of peripherals. So if you get stuck and can not unlock all of your Super Meat Boy achievements with a keyboard, you can always use your PS4 controller. Pairing a PS4 controller with your PC is not as easy as an Xbox controller, but it's not impossible. First, you need to install DS4Windows. This software will trick your computer into recognizing your DualShock 4 as an Xbox controller.
After downloading the latest build of DS4Windows, you must do the following:
- Right-click the ZIP file and select Extract All or Extract Here.
- Open the DS4 folder and double-click the DS4Windows.exe file. You will be asked where to save the settings and profiles. Choose either Program Folder or Application Data as needed. We recommend selecting the program folder.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and install the correct driver for your version of Windows.
- Simply connect your DualShock 4 to your PC with a micro USB cable.
If You Want To use the controller wirelessly, your PC or laptop must have a built-in Bluetooth receiver, or you must purchase a DualShock 4 USB wireless adapter. If you already have one of these options, you must do the following:
- Turn on Bluetooth on your PC / laptop. Under Windows 8 and 10, this is usually found in PC Settings> PC and Devices> Bluetooth.
- Press and hold the PlayStation and Share buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. The light bar should start flashing. The PS4 DualShock should then appear as a wireless controller in the list of Bluetooth devices. Click on the device and pair it.
- You may be asked for a pairing code. If yes, enter 0000.
- Start your favorite game and enjoy it!
Note: Steam games should work with a PS4 controller without the need to install additional software. However, as this is not always the case, we recommend installing DS4Windows.
To pair a PS4 controller with an Android smartphone or tablet. Nonetheless, touch controls are far from ideal for some of these tracks. This is where your DualShock 4 comes in again to save the day! Pairing with your Android phone is easy. No rooting or installing additional apps required! All you need to do is turn on Bluetooth ( Settings> Wireless & networks> Bluetooth ) and follow the same steps as described in the above PC wireless connection.
However, we must warn you that the PlayStation 4 controller may not be compatible with some games, even when properly paired. You can read and test our list of Android games with gamepad support. iOS devices, on the other hand, do not natively work with a PS4 controller.
These are our tips for pairing PS4 DualShock 4 controllers with your various devices. Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments below.