I'm no stranger to the feeling of panic and despair that hits your stomach and steals your breath as soon as you realize your phone is missing. It is terrible. It is expensive. In a Divided World of Android vs. iPhone ($ 1,000 on Amazon) this common terror sometimes feels like a thing that brings phone owners together.
Phones are prime targets for thieves or opportunists luck and find a device that its owner has unintentionally left behind. The small, portable nature of a phone makes it easy to hide it, unlike larger electronic devices like a laptop or a stereo. If someone can unlock your device, there may be a wealth of information that you can use to the nefarious advantage of selling your phone. If not, handsets for valuable parts used to recondition other phones can be picked up and sold for hundreds.
So ask yourself: is your phone really as safe as it could be? We've put together this handy checklist to help keep your phone safe, along with some special products and tools to keep your phone in orbit. As always, we'll tell you what to do if your Android or iPhone is lost. Good luck and stay alert.
First things first
Simple Tips To Keep Away Stealers
- Use a simple bag to hide an expensive phone.
- Take a watchful eye where your hand is always held on the phone, under one leg, and so on.
- Never leave your phone in the open while you go away, even for a minute, even if you keep an eye on it – use something else to save the table while ordering you could take your phone out of your hand – make it hard to reach it while you are using it, especially in a train or in a crowded room.
- Keep your phone in the same place so that you feel better about the difference if someone takes it away from you.
- Move your phone from your pocket to an inner jacket pocket, purse, or bag when you're not using it, even if it's just for a few minutes – the harder it is The harder it is to steal something.
- If your phone is in a back pocket, leave your shirt open to cover it and use Vibration Alert for your notifications to remind you regularly that it's there.
- Watch out for people on the street asking for directions, petitions, advertising, and more.
- If you have an Apple Watch. ($ 339 on Amazon) With Android-based smartwatch, you can monitor notifications and send quick responses while keeping your phone in your pocket.
Take Phone Safety to the Next Level
- Use a PopSocket, a wrist strap like phone straps or a bag with a lanyard or something else that physically fastens them to you.
- When You're Traveling In an area known for pickpockets, you can hide your phone in a zippered towel.
- Invest in a Bluetooth tracker tag like Tile that can alert you and call your phone when you press the Velcro button – on the case and on the inside of your bag – so you can quickly find it at an unexpected and unreachable Can attach place.
- Set up IFTTT for your Amazon Echo ($ 65 on Amazon) or Google Assistant to increase the volume of your phone, and then call it if you can not find it in the house.
- When listening to walking instructions, put the phone away and listen to headphones so you look secure instead of out of place.
What to do if your Android or iPhone is really gone?
1 . No panic. Maybe your phone slipped between the sofa cushions, you forgot it in the bathroom or left it off for a minute when you stormed out the door.
2 . Use your tools: Go directly to a laptop or other device (you can even borrow someone else's phone) and track it with Apple's Find my Phone (soon to Find my) or Android Find my Device.
How to find your Android phone and a lost iPhone.
CNET may Get a commission from retailers.