Setting up a router may seem daunting, but it's much easier than you think. All you need to know is which cable goes where, then make some adjustments to get the router up and running. You do not have to be a computer wizard to do this. All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
Setting up a router
To set up a router: a router, the first thing you need to do is to get the modem you need ISP received, remove and then connect to the router. Take an Ethernet cable that is probably included and plug one end into the modem and the other end into the WAN port of your router. The WAN port could be called "Internet" and looks exactly like the LAN ports next to it. However, with some routers, the port may be disconnected from the rest and almost always have a different color to highlight it, as in the illustration above.
The next step is to reconnect the modem and wait a few minutes to set it up, then do the same with the router. Then take another Ethernet cable and connect your computer to the router. Now open a browser on your computer and go to the configuration page of the router. This should be stated in the manual or on a label somewhere on the device, but in most cases it is either http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1.
After entering the address, you must log in. The credentials should be placed anywhere in the manual or on a sticker on the router, but in many cases the username is "admin" and the password is "password" – creative, as I know.
After you log in, a setup wizard should appear on the screen, guiding you through all the required settings. If not, find the "Setup Wizard" option and click on it. From then on, things are pretty straightforward because you have to name your router, select a security protocol, and so on. Once this is done, your router is set up and ready to use.
Step-by-step instructions for setting up a router:
- Disconnect the modem from the computer.
- Connect the modem and router (WAN port) with an Ethernet cable.
- Reconnect the modem and wait a few minutes for it to set up.
- Plug in the router and wait a few minutes for it to set up.
- Connect Connect a PC to the router with an Ethernet cable.
- Open a browser on your PC and go to the configuration page of the router – usually http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1.
- Log in using the credentials provided in the instructions or on a sticker on the router.
- Now a setup wizard should be displayed. If not, find this option in the menu and click on it.
- Follow basic setup instructions. After that, your router is ready for use.
There you have it – setting up a router. Did you encounter any problems or could you easily set it up? Let us know in the comments!