It’s important to keep your Mac updated, whether you’re taking advantage of new features in macOS or installing important bug fixes and security patches. It’s not always clear how to do this, however – depending on your default settings, the system may even update for you. We’ll show you how to update a Mac yourself, automatically or manually.
How to update a Mac with macOS Mojave or later
If you are using at least macOS Mojave, all updates to the system and the most important Apple software (such as Calendar, E-Mail, Photos and Safari) are available through System Preferences. You can also choose how you’d like to update your Mac, including automatic downloads and installs.
- Open the system settings.
- Click on Software Update.
- The software update searches for new software versions every time you visit. If any are available, they will be listed. Otherwise, it will tell you your Mac is up to date.
- Click Update Now to install all available updates or More Info to select specific updates to install.
- Check the “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” checkbox to automatically install any updates in the future.
- If you want to customize the automatic update, click Advanced and select the check boxes that you want to enable, download, and install automatically.
How to update a Mac with older versions of macOS
If you’re using a version of macOS that was released in the years prior to Mojave, e.g. B. El Capitan or High Sierra, all system updates are done through the App Store. You can also set up automatic updates, though you’ll have to visit System Preferences. We’ll show you how to update your Mac using either method.
- Open the App Store.
- Click the Updates tab. MacOS looks for new updates and lists them when they are available. If you don’t see any, your system is up to date.
- Click Update All to install each new upgrade, or click the Update buttons for each app if you only want to install specific updates.
- If you want to install updates automatically, open System Preferences, click App Store, and in the background select Download Newly Available Updates.