Google Maps helps you find your way around – or even finds your car – but it can also help others find them .
Maps provides an easy-to-overlook sharing feature You can share your location in real time with someone so they can see exactly where you are, even when you move, and then navigate to your location. You can use the same feature to have a trusted person monitor your itinerary to a specific location and know exactly when you will arrive.
The best? It's all so easy. The trick is knowing where to look.
Share your real-time location
If you want someone to track your location:
- Open the Maps app on your iOS or Android device.
- Tap the blue dot that represents your current location, then choose Share Location from the menu that appears. (If you're using Maps for the first time, you may be asked to authorize the app to access your contacts before proceeding.)
- If you'd like to share your location for a specific time period, select Option "1 hour", then use the blue plus and minus buttons to increase or decrease the time as needed.
- If you want to release your location indefinitely-until you turn it off manually-select "Until you turn it off." Option
- Under Android, from the suggested contacts list, select the person you want to share your location with, or select an app (such as Gmail or News) to send a private link. You can also copy the link to the clipboard of your system and paste it anywhere.
- On an iPhone, tap Select People to select a person from your contacts, and select Message to send a private link to someone in your messaging app or select More, to send a private connection via another communication service. Your phone may ask you to allow maps to have continuous access to your location before proceeding.
- If you share your location in Maps by selecting a contact instead of sending a link through an external app, the person you're connected to When you share your location, you'll receive a notification on the phone. Additionally, when you select "Location Sharing" on the Maps page menu, you'll see an icon for you and the person you're sharing. Select the symbol of the person. In a bar at the bottom of the screen, you can stop sharing, re-share your location, or ask the person to share their location with you.
To manually prevent Maps from sharing your location:
- Open the Maps app and find the Share Location bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the "x" next to the line labeled How and how long will your location be shared?
Share the progress of your trip
If you would like someone to see your location and estimated time of arrival while traveling to a specific destination:
- Open the Maps app and navigate to your destination.
- Swipe up the bar at the bottom of the bar (where your remaining travel time is displayed), then select "Share itinerary" in the menu that appears
- Select the name of the person for whom you are Share your progress or select an app to use for sharing.
If you want to stop sharing your progress before your trip is complete:
- Swipe up the bar at the bottom of the screen
- Select "Stop Sharing" from the menu that appears.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media may earn commissions on products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see of our Ethics Policy .