The technology is always fantastic – and Remote Play is the perfect case. If you have a PlayStation 4 and have a PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV, Windows PC, Mac, or Sony Xperia smartphone or tablet in-house, you have access to one of the coolest features available today PS4 are available. The aptly named tool does exactly what it sounds like and allows you to remotely play your PS4 games with your Vita, PS TV, computer or Xperia devices.
The process is straightforward, but requires a few settings and configurations. Luckily, we've put together this simple guide for anyone who wants to take advantage of Remote Play, as well as some basic tips to ensure the best possible user experience.
Remote Play set up for the first time
- Step 1: First, you need to enable Remote Play. On your PS4, go to Settings> Remote Play Connection Settings and make sure that the check box next to Enable Remote Play is checked.
- Step 2: Next, make sure your PS4 is the primary PS4 enabled in your PSN account. Go to Settings> PlayStation Network / Account Management> Enable as Primary PS4 and select Enable.
- Step 3: Finally, you also want to turn Remote Play on and access Remote Play. Your PS4 is in sleep mode. Go to Settings> Energy Saver Settings> Set Functions Available in Sleep Mode. Make sure the boxes next to "Stay connected to the Internet" and "Enable PS4 over network" are checked.
Using Remote Play on your PlayStation Vita or TV
- Step 1: Turn on your Vita or PlayStation TV and update if necessary on the latest firmware.
- Step 2: Connect to the PSN.
- Step 3: Tap the PS4 Link button on your Vita- or PS-TV and have the system search for PS4 on the network. When your PS4 is idle, it automatically turns on. You can also connect to your PS4 with a Vita over the Internet if the consoles are in two separate networks, but you need to sync the two devices to do this.
- Step 4: If for some If the PS4 is not recognized, there is a second synchronization method. On your PS4, go to the Add Device screen. You will receive a code for input to your Vita or PS TV. This is a one-time procedure: once you have entered the code, the consoles will be synchronized and you can connect to PS4 at any time, provided both devices are connected to the Internet.
- Step 5: When the process is complete, the consoles will now sync and you can play your PS4 remotely.
How to Use Remote Play on Your PC or Mac
- Step 1: Make sure your computer is installed connected to the same network as your PS4.
- Step 2: Download the Remote Play program for PC or Mac and install it on your computer.
- Step 3: Connect a DualShock 4 controller to your computer using a USB cable.
- Step 4: Run the Remote Play program on your computer and click Start. The program searches for PS4 in the network. When your PS4 is in hibernation, it automatically turns on when the PC detects it.
- Step 5: Log in to the PSN.
- Step 6: You should now control your PS4 via your PC.
How to Use Remote Play on Xperia Phones or Tablets
- Step 1: Download and install the Sony Remote Play app or the Google Play Store. Then start the app.
- Step 2: Connect both devices to your Wi-Fi network if you have not already done so.
- Step 3: In Xperia Apps Select the search button. The system searches for PS4 that exists on the network. When the PS4 is idle, it automatically turns on.
- Step 4: If the PS4 is not detected for some reason, there is a second synchronization method. On your PS4, go to the Add Device screen. You will receive a code to enter into your Xperia device. This is a one-time procedure: once you have entered the code, the consoles will be synchronized and you can connect to PS4 at any time, provided both devices are connected to the Internet.
- Step 5: When the process is complete, your Xperia device syncs to your PS4, and the PS4 menu appears on the device's home screen.
A few hints and tips …
- For best gaming experience – the minimum latency – Connect your PS4 to the network with an Ethernet cable. A hard-wired connection ensures the fastest, most reliable connection possible, especially when Remote Play is used over the Internet option.
- Remote Play has a limited range when using Wi-Fi. This range is undefined, but factors such as the initial signal strength, walls, and other obstacles between the PS4 and the streaming device can affect everything. Signal interference from televisions and telephones also play a role. Therefore try to keep the PS4 and the display as close together as possible.
- When using Vita controls, the games are different from a DualShock 4 controller. The front and back screens of the Vita are usually replaced by the R2 and L2 triggers, and the R3 and L3 switch the analog sticks. However, this may vary depending on the game. Some games, such as Destiny and Fallout 4, contain remote play-specific control schemes for the Vita. Be sure to check the controls that are usually in the options menu for most games.
- Although Xperia devices come standard with touchscreen controls, we recommend pairing your Xperia device with a DualShock 4 controller via Bluetooth. We also recommend that you physically secure your Xperia device with a clip-on bracket.
- If you're playing on a PS-TV, you should use a DualShock 4 instead of the DualShock 3 that was originally included in your computer system. The latter is not compatible with the PlayStation 4.