The peloton bike and treadmill come with custom software that lets you stream live and on-demand classes, view your workout history, browse the community, add friends, and even video chat with one another Users can start. But sometimes you want to ride a bike or run without the motivational teachers screaming from the screen while still talking for the duration of the conversation.
Peloton prohibits users from changing the bike to download other apps like Hulu or Netflix. Some users have bypassed this by opening the Just Ride mode and watching a nearby TV or even hanging a tablet over the screen to stream their own shows. However, there is a simple workaround that lets you stream non-peloton content to the device monitor itself. A device preference hides a mobile browser that users can enable and use to access various websites, such as YouTube or Plex.
When you're ready to take that risk, you can see it here. To find the browser:
- Tap the Settings button near the top right corner of the screen. A drop-down menu appears, allowing you to make settings such as Wi-Fi, screen brightness, account information, and more. The last item in the lower part of this menu is "Device Settings".
- After selecting the device settings, look for "About the tablet".
- Select Legal Information.
- Select Webview System Licenses.
- A long A list of licenses is displayed along with the links "Show License" and "Homepage". Touch one of the blue links labeled "Homepage".
After you make this selection, the default mobile Android web browser opens. You can then use this browser like a regular tablet and access Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Plex, Vimeo or whatever if you want to ride a bike or run on your treadmill. There are some limitations, such as: B. Video players that are not supported by the Android browser.
Peloton makes expensive devices with exercise instructions, not all-inclusive entertainment devices. Keep in mind that your warranty may be invalid. But if you have an older machine or are waiting for a next generation monitor to be upgraded and you want to play around in the meantime – or simply can not resist optimizing your equipment – it may be worth trying. Your machine, your call. If you seriously want to stream video from the peloton monitor, you are at your own risk.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media may earn commissions on products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see of our Ethics Policy .