Surprisingly, Apple released on Thursday, August 23, the beta version 8 of iOS 12 for software testers. The release is a little shocked as the company released Public Beta 7 of iOS 12 three days earlier. The official build of iOS 12 now feels closer every day.
The public beta 8 does not seem to offer any noticeable changes or features to the testers, except that the problem that Apple Pay is no longer available in Wallet has been fixed since the crash. From the Release Notes
Otherwise, all other public beta remain 7 bugs officially acknowledged by Apple in this release and the only new issue described by the company are developers only, not public testers. Nevertheless, users should download the public beta 8 immediately because the security of the public beta 7 is outdated.
To download and update public beta 8 from iPhone 1
According to Apple's release notes, iOS 12 dev beta 10 fixes no issues with dev beta 9
Below is a list of all known issues in iOS 12 Developer Beta 10. New issues are bold:
- Logged in to a production account and testing with a sandbox account When attempting to retrieve a new valid acknowledgment, a production account login prompt appears without an option to switch to the sandbox account. (42862150) – Workaround: For testing purposes, StoreKit calls such as making a purchase and restoring transactions retrieve a new receipt. Alternatively, you can log out of the production account.
- Various CoreGraphics calls were hardened against invalidating invalid parameters. In iOS 12 Beta, these calls can now return NULL or return early. (38344690)
- Users with iOS 11 might not be successful if multiple email addresses are associated with their Apple ID. (41033550) – Workaround: Send the invitation to another email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- Traffic data may not be displayed. (43254370) – Workaround: Tap the "i" button to view the map settings and turn on the traffic switch.
- When a queueTransaction is run on the applicationQueuePlayer to change the location of a song, the queue returns unchanged. (39401344)
Phone and FaceTime:
- The FaceTime group has been removed from the first release of iOS 12 and will be shipping later this fall in a future software update.
- In iOS 12 Beta, Camera Effects is only available in Messages on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or later and is not available on the iPad. Camera Effects in FaceTime is only available on iPhone 7 or later and is not available on the iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls may stop unexpectedly when you switch from Wi-Fi to mobile on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
- Downtime start and stop times may change unexpectedly if configured before installing iOS 12 Beta 9. (43393555) – Workaround: Update all devices associated with the iCloud account to iOS 12 Beta 9 and reset the downtime start and stop times.
- After upgrading to iOS 12 Beta 7 or later, parents should change the screen time passcode to prevent children from logging out of iCloud or changing the system time. (42879250)
- Fetched phone statistics may be excessive due to data synchronization from other devices logged in to the same iCloud account. (39917173)
- If you use INUIAddVoiceShortcutButton, the text text "Add to Siri" and "Added to Siri" will not be localized. (43251696) – Workaround: To localize the text "Add to Siri" and "Added to Siri", insert localizations for that text into the strings files of your app bundle.
- While several rideshare apps are installed, Siri could open the app instead of providing an ETA or location when asked. (42324032) – Workaround: Ask Siri again for the ETA or location.
- Siri Shortcuts may not work when a device is locked. (41307405)
- Siri keyboard shortcuts are available on iPhone 6s or higher, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4. (40669231)
- Enabled Using a UICollectionViewCell subclass that requires updateConstraints () may cause problems with systemLayoutSizeFitting (_ :). (42138227) – Workaround: Do not call the cell's setNeedsUpdateConstraints () method unless you need to support live constraint changes. If you need to support live constraint changes, call updateConstraintsIfNeeded () before calling systemLayoutSizeFitting (_ :).
- When using messages in the iOS Simulator, no message may be sent from User A to User B. (40916530) – Workaround: Submit a message from User B to User A.
Beta 7 public may have taken only three days, but that did not prevent users from expressing concerns about the update. Some were worried as the latest iOS 12 Beta 7 was quickly removed for stability issues. However, the problematic beta was dev beta 7, and the public beta 7 had no relation to this flawed software because it is a mirror image of dev beta 9.
Of course, that does not mean that users can be completely reassured when the iOS 12 beta is running on their iPhones. While those who already run the software should frequently update, those who are considering installing the software should be aware of the risks. Betas are unfinished versions of the upcoming software, and if you put iOS 12 on your device now, you'll be willing to voluntarily encounter any issues the beta might bring to your iPhone.
Expect the final release of iOS 12 will be released on September 19, a week after the Apple event on September 12, where they announce new devices and the release of iOS 12 become public. Developers will receive the Golden Master (GM) build of iOS 12 on or immediately after the same day of the event.