Apple released iOS 12 Beta 9 for public beta testers on Monday, August 27th. The update comes at the same time as the release of Beta 11. This is surprising as Apple normally publishes developer betas a few hours ago the public version. On the other hand, everything that Apple is doing lately with its beta version of iOS 12 is surprising.
With the release of public Beta 9, there seems to be no significant change. At this point, testers should expect a modest result update from the public beta 8. Last week, we will update this post if there are major changes in usage.
To download and update your iPhone to iOS 12 Public Beta 9, you must first be registered public beta tester with a valid configuration profile. If you've enabled iOS 1
According to Apple, iOS 12 Public Beta 9 does not solve any problems from the previous update. While there are undoubtedly minor bugs, all the notable bugs found in Beta 8 are still there.
All bugs that are still in public beta 9 are listed here:
App Store:  Attempting to get a new valid receipt will be reported when logging in To view a production account and test with a sandbox account, a logon prompt for the production account with no option to switch to the sandbox account. (42862150) – Workaround: For testing purposes, StoreKit calls such as making a purchase and restoring transactions retrieve a new receipt. Alternatively, you can log out of the production account.
- Various CoreGraphics calls have been hardened against the continuation of invalid parameters. In iOS 12 Beta, these calls can now return NULL or return early. (38344690)
- iOS 11 users who have multiple email addresses associated with their Apple ID in a home may not be successful. (41033550) – Workaround: Send the invitation to another email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- Traffic data may not be displayed. (43254370) – Workaround: Tap the "i" button to view the map settings and turn on the traffic switch.
- When a queueTransaction is run on applicationQueuePlayer to change the location of a song, the queue returns unchanged. (39401344)
Phone and FaceTime:
- Group FaceTime has been removed from the first release of iOS 12 and will ship in a later software update later this fall.
- In iOS 12 Beta, Camera Effects is available in Messages only on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or higher and not available on the iPad. Camera effects in FaceTime are only available on the iPhone 7 or later and are not available on the iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls may quit unexpectedly as you move from Wi-Fi to mobile on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
- Downtime start and stop times may change unexpectedly if configured before installing iOS 12 Beta 9. (43393555) – Workaround: Update any devices associated with the iCloud account to iOS 12 Beta 9 or later and reset their start and stop times for downtime.
- After upgrading to iOS 12 Beta 7 or later, parents should change the screen timecode to prevent children from logging out of iCloud or changing system time. (42879250)
- Fetched phone statistics may be excessive due to data synchronization with other devices logged in to the same iCloud account. (39917173)
- When using INUIAddVoiceShortcutButton, the text text "Add to Siri" and "Added to Siri" is not localized. (43251696) – Workaround: To locate the text "Add to Siri" and "Added to Siri", insert localizations for that text into the string files of your app bundle.
- While several ride-sharing apps are installed, Siri could do so Open the app instead of specifying an ETA or location when prompted. (42324032) – Workaround: Ask Siri again for the ETA or location.
- Siri suggestions for shortcuts are enabled on iPhone 6s or higher, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation
or higher), iPad Air 2, and iPad Mini 4. (40669231)
- At Using a UICollectionViewCell subclass that requires updateConstraints () can cause problems with systemLayoutSizeFitting (_ :). (42138227) – Workaround: Do not call the cell's setNeedsUpdateConstraints () method unless you need to support live constraint changes. If you need to support live constraint changes, call updateConstraintsIfNeeded () before calling systemLayoutSizeFitting (_ :).
- When using messages in the iOS Simulator, you may not receive a message from User A to User B. (40916530) – Workaround: Send a message from User B to User A.
Public testers are most likely to be shocked if they find a new update in their preferences. That's because Apple released an iOS beta update on Thursday, which was unexpected. Earlier this week, the company released Public Beta 7, which released Beta 9's third update in just one week
The prediction of when Apple will release a new update to iOS 12 is becoming increasingly difficult as its release schedule fluctuates more and more. But even if Cupertino keeps us constantly busy, regular updates are a good thing. After having pulled the beta version 7 for stability issues, any additional stability that Apple wants to offer to the testers should be welcomed with open arms.