Chlorine bleach is a handy and powerful detergent that you can use in your home. Unlike many other cleaners, however, it is relatively short-lived. You need to know the following.
If you ever opened a bottle of bleach and were surprised that the room did not smell immediately after the pool in the YMCA, you found an expired bleach batch. To understand why your bottle of bleach smelled like nothing (or maybe very faintly after the beach instead of a swimming pool), you just have to look at the chemical composition of the bleach.
The pitcher of chlorine bleach that you take home from the store It is mostly water with enough chlorine (in the form of sodium hypochlorite) to create a concentration. This concentration will depend on the brand and the intended application, but is usually from 3 to 8% bleach. From the moment the mixture is bottled, it slowly begins to disintegrate. This degradation converts sodium hypochlorite to sodium chloride (table salt) and oxygen. While the bleaching agent smells of bleach for many months, bleach at room temperature (65-70 ° F) only needs about one year to fully decompose into normal old salt water. At this point you should dispose of it by dumping it in the drain in your laundry room or on the toilet and buying a new bottle next time.