The outbreak of the corona virus forces many people to work from home. Most shops and cinemas also close. In fact, pretty much everyone is asked to stay completely inside. The good news? Streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Now and Disney Plus help you pass the time. The bad news? You could still be alone. Is there any way to watch Netflix with friends or any of the other streaming services?
In fact, there are ways to do just that. Some Chrome and other browser extensions let you watch movies and TV shows on Netflix with friends. Although not officially supported by the service, they make it easier to share the streaming experience, especially now. Let's look at some ways you can watch Netflix with friends. We'll also talk about some officially approved ways to watch HBO Now / HBO Go and Amazon Prime Video content with friends.
1. Netflix Party
Netflix Party is perhaps the most well-known app or extension to watch Netflix with friends. It has been around for a few years, but obviously a lot more people are checking it. However, it only works on PC in Chrome browsers. Here's how to set it up:
- Download and install the Netflix Party extension from the Chrome Store.
- Start Netflix on your PC and go to the movie or TV show you want to watch with your friends.
- You should see an "NP" icon next to the Chrome address bar. Click on it.
- When you're done, click Start Party and send the URL to your friends.
This browser extension also has a chat bar that you can use to keep in touch with your friends while watching the movie or the TV show. Users can also upload pictures, emojis and more.
While the extension is free to download, the developers behind it have a Patreon page that you can support so they can continue to add features.
2. Scener (Netflix and HBO Go / HBO Now)
Scener is a newer entry in this subgenre. As with Netflix Party, this is a Chrome extension for your PC. Thats how it works.
- Set up a free account on the Scener website.
- Download and install the Scener Chrome extension.
- In the extension, click the Create Private Theater option and then select Netflix
- . Finally, go to the show or movie you want to watch and send the included URL to friends.
With Scener, you can chat over text, audio, or video while watching Netflix with friends. You can even set up groups so that, for example, your office friends are different from your Parks and Rec friends. The company is working on a version for iOS and Roku.
More recently, Scener has entered into an agreement with HBO. The agreement allows users to set up movie and television show parties with others who have access to an HBO Go or HBO Now subscription. The extension enables up to 20 users at the same time. The press release says an upcoming update will add support for even larger groups, as well as support for viewing HBO content with a live host or group via video chat.
Our last chance to watch Netflix with friends is Kast. This app, formerly known as Rabbit, also supports YouTube and other services. You can download the official app for Windows and Mac PCs from the official website. In addition to sharing videos, the apps also offer video chat and other features. It can be downloaded and used for free, but there is a Kast Premium subscription for $ 4.99 per month. It turns on ads and improves video quality, among other things.
5. Twitch Watch Parties (Amazon Prime Video)
Amazon's Twitch streaming service has recently added support for its new Watch Parties feature. Currently, PC Twitch users in the United States who are subscribed to Amazon Prime Video can participate in other watch parties. You can host these parties with all of the thousands of movies and TV shows available on Amazon Prime Video.
Currently, only Twitch developers in the United States can start their own Twitch watch parties. It is expected to be rolled out worldwide in the coming months. This is also only for PC Twitch platforms; This service does not yet work for cell phones, game consoles or smart TV apps.
Here's how it works:
- Sign up for a Twitch account if you haven't already.
- Click your Twitch username / icon on the Twitch.tv website in the upper right corner, and then click the Creator Dashboard
- option. On the Creator Dashboard, click the Home menu in the upper left corner and then click the Stream Manager option.
- Click the Quick Action selection on the right side of the screen, and then click the Start Watch Party option.
- You will then be presented with a menu with the recommended Amazon Prime Video options. You can enter which one you want to use for your Twitch Watch Party. When you find it, select it.
That was it. All you have to do is start your stream and start your Twitch Watch Party.
This way, you can watch Netflix with friends, with Netflix Party remaining the most popular option, although, as you now know, it is far from being the only one. We also showed how you can watch Amazon Prime video and HBO content with friends. Which of these methods will you use?
Of course you still need to see something. Here's what movies and shows you can stream on Netflix: