Apple released the third iOS 12 beta for developers on Tuesday, July 3. The update comes exactly two weeks after the release of the second developer beta, which introduced a variety of fixes as well as new issues and just a week after the public beta release. Public beta testers have named this iOS 12 update a public beta 2 on Thursday, July 5th.
Beta 3 (or 2, if you're in public beta) seems to contain many bugfixes and security patches, but most of them include Apple's new Google Maps features. According to TechCrunch, the Google Maps competitor now uses data from Apple and not from third parties. Users should expect better routes and more detailed maps, but only in San Francisco and the Bay Area to start with, because that's where it starts first. But only time will tell if the features match Apple's expectations.
If you want to upgrade your iPhone to the third beta version of iOS 1
The following contains issues resolved by Apple as per the release notes of iOS 12:
- Upgrading from iOS 10.2 and earlier to iOS 12 Beta over iTunes is not supported. (41215257)
- The weather widget does not work in iOS 12 Beta 2. (41096139)
- Universal Links may not open the expected target app. (40568385)
- Taobao might quit unexpectedly at startup. (40958373)
- Twitter may display an empty login screen. (40910390)
- Skype may quit unexpectedly after logging on. (39666451)
- Notification action buttons may become unreadable when the high contrast settings are enabled. (41050794)
- Playback may not be interrupted if only one of the AirPods is removed from your ears. (40824029)
- Certain Safari-loaded USDZ models can not display thumbnails. (40252307)
- Logging in to ASWebAuthenticationSession or SFAuthenticationSession does not immediately make login cookies available in Safari. (33221110)
- SMS and Phone Call spam classifier extensions do not load and display a black screen. (41018290)
- To enable CallKit extensions, phone, message, or settings apps may need to be stopped and restarted. (39548788, 39885031)
- CarPlay may not be associated with certain vehicles. (40494430)
- The navigation button is not available in the Stock Options sheet when using the Add People feature. (40368764)
Phone and FaceTime:
- FaceTime may quit unexpectedly at startup. (41189126)
- Some FaceTime video calls may be interrupted by the "bad connection" message. (41033989)
- When a user tries to activate a SIM PIN, the iOS device loses the mobile service. (40958280)
- The automatic enlargement of the speaker's tile during a Group FaceTime call is not activated when using external headphones. (40615683)
- Voicemail notifications may be inconsistent and will not be displayed when the device is locked. (39826861)
- If family sharing is enabled for an iCloud account, only family members who are parent / guardian can disable screen time on their device.
- To enable a restriction code on a child device If the child has enabled screen time, the parent / guardian must first disable screen time on the child device and re-enable screen time from the parent / monitor.
- If Ask on a child device is enabled, enter the passcode on the child device to allow more time, still leading to a prompt on the parent / guardian device.
- If Submit is not enabled on a subordinate device, tapping Limit Ignore displays the Time Code screen. (41060009)
- If a child account does not want to share the use of screen time with parent / guardian accounts, they should become parents / guardians or leave the iCloud family. (40675329)
- If Siri's language is set to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, it is not possible to set up "Hey Siri." (41188020)
- When a user attaches a playback device, such as headphones, the Media Player interface may not display artwork. (40989415)
- When recording a custom shortcut phrase, the user may not be able to tap Done to save the shortcut. (40862775)
- Shortcuts donated to images created using API + [INImage imageWithURL :] do not display a picture. (40623457)
- Messages may not start when you tap the message content. (39941268)
New issues are bolded below:
- Fortnite may quit unexpectedly during use. (41617672)
- Netflix may quit unexpectedly while downloading a video. (40653033)
- The route summary for a workout may not be available. (40008565)
- ARReferenceObject and ARWorldMap data created with iOS 12 Beta 2 or earlier is not compatible with Beta 3 or later. Please recheck your objects to generate new ARReferenceObject and ARWorldMap data. (41489820)
- In the day view, an event can be displayed at an unexpected date. (40586853) – Workaround: Go to Week or Month view and then back to Day view. Alternatively, you can also quit and restart the calendar.
- Various CoreGraphics calls have been hardened against the continuation of invalid parameters. In iOS 12 Beta, these calls can now return NULL or return early. (38344690)
- Quantization of <8-bit layers or with a lookup table might cause problems with deconvolution and recurring layers. (40632252) – Workaround: Use only 8-bit linear quantization on these layers.
- Models with flexible input sizes may unexpectedly reject input with the default size displayed in the Xcode Type field. (40632323) – Workaround: Enter a non-standard size entry on the first predictive call.
- Inviting iOS 11 users who have multiple email addresses associated with their Apple ID to a home might not be successful. (41033550) – Workaround: Send the invitation to another email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- Certain languages may have a truncated or misaligned layout. (40420329)
- Certain languages may display untagged text. (40420422)
- When the playback queue is applied, the application queue playback changes the position of a song, the queue is returned unchanged. (39401344)
- A title can not be added to a playlist by using the addItemWithProductID API. (40508800)
Phone and FaceTime:
- Restarting the iPad may display a "No SIM" notification when an Apple SIM card with no active data plan is inserted. (41138762)
- Your device may not register with your phone number for iMessage and FaceTime. (41374914) – Workaround: Restart your device.
- Your device's phone number may not appear under Phone> Contacts. (41459488)
- The Mobile Data section under Settings> Mobile may be constantly updated. (41587310)
- Group FaceTime calls can not be initiated between iOS 12 Beta 3 and the first iOS 12 beta release. (39873802) – Workaround: Users should upgrade to iOS 12 Beta 3.
- iPod touch (6th generation), iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad Air only support audio (no video) during Group FaceTime calls in iOS 12 Beta.
- In iOS 12 Beta, camera effects in messages are only available on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or later and are not available on the iPad. Camera Effects in FaceTime is only available on iPhone 7 or later and is not available on the iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls may unexpectedly quit when switching from Wi-Fi to mobile on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
Safari & Webkit:
- Viewing wallet passports in SFSafariViewController may not be available. (40415649) – Workaround: View the passport in Safari
- Screen time data may not be synced on iOS devices. (41548198)
- "Picked Up Phone" statistics may be bloated due to data syncs from other devices logged into the same iCloud account. (39917173)
- The use of screen time for a child is not displayed on the device of the parent device, but can be read on the child's device. (40218447)
- The default always-authent apps are allowed in downtime only after tapping Settings> Screen Time> Always Allowed to refresh the list of apps. (40320173)
- Only use numbers when creating a screen-time password, otherwise entering the passcode will be impossible. (40671666)
- When a Siri intent is handled with the continueUserActivity: restorationHandler: method application, the interaction object in userActivity has no intent response. (41383282)
- Adding shortcuts to Siri may fail to link to images in PDF format. (40395673) – Workaround: Use a different image format.
- In Swift, the link property of INVOiceShortcut must be accessed as _ _shortcut. (40418400)
- Siri keyboard shortcut suggestions are enabled on the iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4. (40669231)
- When searching through Spotlight, Internet results can be rated unexpectedly higher than local results. (41562287)
- Voice memos are not synced with iTunes. (40346169)
- Wallet may quit unexpectedly at startup. (41603255) – Workaround: Use the application changer to exit Wallet and try again.
Although iOS 12 is still in the early stages of beta, it has earned a reputation. Although it may seem odd at first sight, users overlook the short list of new features and the long list of bugs, especially because of their superiority in performance compared to iOS 11.
Indeed, Apple's previous effort was badly received from the beginning. Users complained about the revised notification system, but complained even louder as the bugs began to wreak havoc. From auto-correct glitches to out-order iMessages, iOS 11 and bugs seem to go hand in hand.
However, stability is not the only thing new in iOS 12. Although Apple has focused heavily on the overall iOS experience, users can expect to see new Animoji for iPhone X, Notification Grouping, a special weather widget for the lock screen among 47 other new features. Check out our tutorial below to see everything new in iOS 12.
Do not miss: 50 cool new features of iOS 12 that you do not know