There are several ways to set up a VPN on Windows 10. The easiest way is to download the VPN app to your computer, log in and connect to a server at the touch of a button. Job done!
However, if your VPN provider does not have a Windows app for some reason, or if your computer is running Windows 10 in S-mode, you can only install apps that are available in the Microsoft Store and set up a VPN manually. Do not worry – without technical knowledge you can do it in a few minutes.
How to set up a VPN on Windows 10
How to set up a VPN In Windows 10, click the Start button in the lower left corner and select the option "Settings". Then click on "Network & Internet" followed by "VPN". In the next step, click on "Add VPN connection". You can then add all the required information.
First click on "VPN" Select the only available option from the drop-down list "Provider" – Windows (integrated). In the "Connection name" field, enter a name of your choice that you will recognize when connecting to the VPN.
Now it's time to add a "server name or server address". This information should be found on the website of your VPN provider (here an example). If you have trouble locating, contact your provider. Once this is done, select "Automatic Type" under "VPN Type" and then one of the options "Type of Login Information". In most cases, this is the default – "username and password".
The next step is to add your credentials to the Username and Password fields and then click Save. Key to complete the process. Congratulations, you have now successfully set up a VPN on Windows 10 manually.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Setting Up a VPN on Windows 10:
- Click the Start button and select the option "Settings".
- Click on "Network & Internet".
- Select VPN, then click Add VPN Connection.
- Select "Windows (Integrated)" under "VPN Providers" drop-down list.
- Enter a name of your choice in the "Connection Name" field.
- Add a "server name or server address" – contact your VPN provider for more information.
- Select "Automatic" option under "VPN Type".
- Select one of the options "Type of credentials" – "Username and Password" in most cases.
- Add your username and password.
- Click the "Save" button to complete the process.
To connect to a VPN server you have set up, go to Settings> Network & Internet> VPN . Select the VPN connection you want to use, and then click the Connect button. Alternatively, you can click the network icon in the system tray, select a VPN connection, and then click Connect.