Switching to a standing desk is considered by many to be healthierand this can increase your productivity, energy and possibly even your longevity. However, switching to a standing desk does not mean you have to automatically discard your current desk. And you certainly will not have to overflow your workstation with a separate desk to stand up to.
A handful of DIY conversions for standing desks work well. And for those of you who do not want to handle a hacksaw or a hammer, there is no shortage of commercial conversions for standing desks that are offered for sale. If you are looking for the best table top stand converter, the following are our top tips.
If you use StandStand and make it a more durable solution, you will get Readydesk, a Wood Work area elevator with two height-adjustable shelves.
The Readydesk is wide enough for two 68.58-centimeter monitors and fits most people between 1.5 and 6 inches and 1.8 meters) big and even has a built-in cable management.
You can also purchase an extra shelf or laptop bed if you need additional work space or if you need to tilt and lift your laptop a few inches.
- The Readydesk is easy to mount (without tools) and highly adjustable.
- Crossbars keep the riser from shaking.
- At $ 169.99 (around £ 110 in the UK, $ 230 in Australia), Readydesk is still one of the more affordable options.
- Readydesk is a semipermanent desk conversion, which means that you probably will not switch your desk for short periods between sitting and standing or even turning it on daily.
- If you adjust the height of your keyboard and mouse or monitors, you will need to remove an entire shelf. This is a bit more complicated and time consuming than other customizable solutions.
Varidesk Pro Plus is one of The most compelling conversion kits for desks are available today, with excellent quality and stability for a smooth overall experience and no shaking. It's a two-tier system that lets you customize your monitors, keyboard and mouse in a single gesture.
Varidesk Pro Plus is pre-assembled and ready to use. Place it on your existing desk, place your monitor or laptop on the top shelf, keyboard and mouse on the bottom shelf and raise the desk to one of the preset height settings.
Varidesk Pro Plus is available in three different models: 30, 38 and 48. The 30 is designed for a single monitor setup, while the 38 supports up to two monitors. Designed for anyone up to 185 centimeters (6 feet, 1 inch) tall, the 48 is designed to accommodate two monitors and accessories on the top shelf, as well as a keyboard, mouse and tablet on the lower shelf.
- The benefits are that it is easier to customize than other standing conversions because the entire workspace (the top and bottom levels) move together. Models 30 and 38 have 11 different height settings, and models 48 have nine height settings to lower or raise your workstation.
- The Varidesk Pro Plus sacrifices very little work surface in standing or sitting height.
- The Varidesk Pro Plus is very sturdy and, depending on the model, can handle 15.9 to 20.4 kg (35 to 45 lbs). Disadvantages
- From 325 USD (215 GBP, 445 AU $) and up to 500 USD (330 AU $, 690 AU $), Varidesk Pro Plus is one of the more expensive conversions for standing desks.
The Ergotron WorkFit-T and the Varidesk Pro Plus are direct competitors. The WorkFit-T has a similar design with comparable features and variations. The main difference between WorkFit-T and Varidesk Pro Plus is that the WorkFit-T moves vertically while the Varidesk moves outward (towards the users) when lifted. If space is at a premium, the minimalist WorkFit-T may work better.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T can be adjusted vertically with two press studs, and has a 15.1 inch (38.1 cm) vertical adjustment.
- It is pre-assembled and delivered ready to use.
- Unlike the Varidesk Pro Plus, height adjustment is completely vertical without lateral movement.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T holds up to 30 kg (15.9 kg) and offers sufficient working surface in standing or sitting height. The updated WorkFit-TL model can hold up to 18.1 kg (40 lbs) and provides a few inches more work space in all dimensions than the Model T.
- The WorkFit-T costs retail 398.99 US $ (£ 260, AU $ 545) and WorkFit TL can be purchased from ErgoDirect for $ 445.99 (£ 295, AU $ 610), making it even more expensive than the comparable Varidesk Pro Plus.
WorkEZ is the median weight between Varidesk Pro Plus and StandStand. It is a small and lightweight conversion that is easy to install or remove, but also highly adjustable and equipped with a keyboard tray.
WorkEZ consists of three parts: the laptop or monitor stand, a separate keyboard tray and a removable mouse pad. The laptop and monitor stand can be adjusted to almost any angle and up to 45.7 cm above desk height. The laptop stand, keyboard tray and mouse pad can be set independently. This makes it one of the most customizable conversions on the StandStand and Varidesk Pro Plus market.
- The disadvantage is that the WorkEZ is not the most stable option for stand-up conversions.
- As with StandStand, there is no additional work area at standing height.
- WorkEZ only fits on a monitor or a laptop and can only carry up to 5.9 kg. If you have an extra monitor or a high-performance monitor that exceeds this weight limit, you need something like LIFT.