Child seats do not stay in your car ̵
The advantage of a child car seat over a convertible is that it is also a carrier and you can click on it in pram bases. Think about when to take your baby to visit with friends and relatives – the baby carrier offers you the opportunity to take off your child.
Child seats are directed only to the rear. So you have to buy a convertible seat at any time 1 year old, or when he reaches the size or weight limit.
If you're new to the world of car seats, be sure to check out our guide. It covers the categories and helps you choose the right seat for your child.
What to Remember
All child seats are safe. What sets them apart is the ease of use and compatibility with other accessories (eg stroller). You also have to think about your lifestyle – for example, are you planning a trip while your child is still using a child seat?
Here is a list of things to consider:
- Is it traveling well? A baby scarf seat snaps into and out of a base that you install in your car. However, you can only use most child seats with a safety belt. In this way, you can secure your seat in other cars, airplanes and buses – everything that is connected to a seatbelt. If you want to travel with your baby, you want a child seat that works with a safety belt and is not based on a pad.
- Does it work with a stroller system and other accessories? Child seats are often part of a compatible stroller system, but there are also adapters if you want to mix manufacturers. However, adapters are often sold separately. If you want to minimize costs, you can buy a seat and stroller that are compatible. You should also consider the cost of an extra base if you want to build a base in a second car.
- What are the weight and the length? Child seats vary in the upper weight limit, but are generally between 22-35 pounds. Once your child reaches this limit, you will need to buy a convertible seat (though you probably do not want to wait until it weighs 35 pounds). You can install a convertible seat forward or backward. You can also use it from childhood. So there is no reason to move the switch if your child becomes too heavy to carry on the seat. Although car seats usually emphasize how much weight they can carry, there is a good chance that your child will reach the length limit first. For example, the Chicco Keyfit 30 can handle a child weighing up to 30 pounds and 30 inches. An 11-1 / 2-month-old boy who is 30 inches long and weighs 22.75 pounds is already at the limit of length but over 7 pounds from the weight limit.
- How hard is it? While you may be able to handle the weight of the wearer, it is your baby that will eventually make it too heavy for you. Most carriers weigh between 8 and 12 pounds, while most newborns weigh between 5 and 10 pounds. Only half of this equation is in your hands, so this may not be a priority.
- How wide is she? Unlike convertible seats, child seats have no "slim fit" category. Infants need all side impact pads that are possible. The handle and the base often also increase the width. If you need every inch of space, it is helpful to note down the dimensions – especially if you need to install multiple car seats in a smaller vehicle.
All in all the best: Chicco Keyfit 30
The Chicco KeyFit 30 is rated by parents with consistently high ratings that value material comfort and ease of installation. The KeyFit keeps kids from 4 to 30 pounds and up to 30 inches long. If we use the 50th percentile as a reference, the Chicco treats a little girl up to the age of 13 months and a little boy up to the age of 11-1 / 2 months. At this time, most parents feel that their child has become too heavy for the porter.
The Chicco weighs 9.6 pounds and is 16.5 inches wide – the thinnest child seat on our list. You can remove the seat covers and they are machine washable. You can purchase additional frames, but you can also use this seat with a seat belt.
Chicco sells various stroller bases, from a simple frame that you can fold up and carry in one hand, to one that you can use as a stroller for taller children without a car seat.
Best Price: Graco Essentials
The Graco SnugRide Essentials Click Connect 30 offers just that: the essential. Like the Chicco, this seat is for babies who weigh between 4 and 30 pounds and are up to 30 inches long. The seat is 17.5 inches wide and weighs only 7 pounds. If you are not worried about fabric surfaces or aesthetics, this is an affordable option that will keep your baby safe in the car.
This seat is compatible with Graco Click Connect undercarriages and strollers, ranging from basic budget options to jogging options. Graco products are available on the web and in large retail outlets, so they can easily be added to baby shower tabs.
Best Bonus: Nuna PIPA
The Dutch company Nuna provides a car seat for parents who want their baby equipment to look as elegant and chic as possible (although your baby may do everything in his power, The Crème de la Car Seat crop, the Nuna PIPA, fits into any Nuna strollers that include adapters, as well as into a long list of the trendiest strollers (Bugaboo, Uppababy, BOB, etc.) with the purchase of an extra The Nuna is made of high quality materials such as the micro knit material and has additional features such as a sturdy leg to the jostling to minimize.
Nuna is an even lighter version, the Nuna PIPA Lite, although it only weighs 5.6 pounds. This model has one big drawback: you can not use it without a base. Unfortunately, this means Ubers or air travel, unless you bring the base. Apart from this enormous effort, this also removes the advantage that it is easy. The normal PIPA, however, weighs only 7.9 pounds, and you can only use it with a safety belt.
The easiest to use: Britax B-Safe Ultra Infant
Some car seats are more complicated than others. However, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rated the Britax car seats as the highest in terms of usability in all categories.
In order to evaluate the usability of car seats, the NHTSA rates the rating of usability They are categorized into four categories: rating of the labels, rating of the instructions, securing the child and vehicle installation features. After all, a car seat is only safe if you install and use it properly.
The Britax B-Safe Ultra Infant scored the highest possible rating in three categories and the 4/5 category in a fourth. All four current models, however, received a rating of 5 out of 5 points. The Britax SafeCenter LATCH system snaps into the lower anchors of your car with snaps and holds them in place so you can quickly install and tighten a socket. You can also use a seat belt to install a base, or secure the seat yourself.
The Ultra Infant can hold children weighing 4 to 35 pounds and up to 32 inches tall. The slightly larger area means that it is also a bit wider. It measures 17.75 inches in diameter and weighs 11.5 pounds.
You can also use the Britax line of child seats with a special line of highly rated, compatible stroller.