The list of commands is expanding rapidly, as well as the number of party services and devices that Alexa officially (and unofficially) supports.
Here is the (almost) full list of Amazon Alexa commands.
By default, Amazon's connected speakers have the same watchword. All you have to do to queue a request is "Alexa". In the Amazon Alexa mobile application or at echo.amazon.com, you can echo the Amazon echo or computer .
If you have an Amazon Tap, Dash Wall or the Amazon Fire TV Voice Remote, you need to press a button to wake Alexa. Amazon has updated the tap with a hands-free mode that you need to enable in Settings. The only wake word available to the Amazon Tap is Alexa .
Earlier this year, Amazon added a feature calledthat makes outputting multiple commands easier and faster to Alexa without having to repeat the wake-up word. If you enable the feature, Alexa will continue to wait for another command after the first request. You can issue further commands until you are done or until you say "stop".
Amazon also supported this feature for multiple commands by allowing you to draw two related commands in one. You can say something like "Alexa, play music on Amazon in Volume 6" or "Alexa, add bread, milk and eggs to my shopping list".
Editor's Note: Originally posted on April 13, 2016, this article is regularly updated to include new Alexa commands, features, and information.
Other Places You Can Access
While the most obvious or natural way to use Alexa is through an Amazon echo speaker or a third-party speaker, it's not the only way to invoke Amazon digital assistants.
In fact, there are more and more ways to access Alexa, which are constantly being created, and you do not even need special devices. Here are some of the best known ways to use Alexa with existing devices:
The Wake-Word does not work in mobile apps. Instead, look for the Alexa icon and tap it to stop the wizard. Not all features – like reminders – also work within mobile apps.
Open Cortana on an updated Windows computer and say "Open Alexa." After the first connection, it is said that Amazon's assistant will wait until Cortana.
The complete list of Alexa commands
The list of Alexa commands is expansive and grows with each new service or device it supports. Alexa is not perfect, but it's pretty good to understand the natural language, so you do not always have to speak the commands exactly as you see them below. Many commands work if they are formulated in different ways, or even with omitted words.
If you look at the possible third-party commands through skills, essentially the apps of Amazon Alexa, the list goes even further. To learn which individual skills are capable, visit the skill page from the Amazon Alexa app or alexa.amazon.com
Here are all native Alexa commands.
- Ask for help: "Alexa, help."
- Have a conversation: "Alexa, let's chat."
- Mute or not loud: "Alexa, dumb" or "Alexa, mute."
- Stop or pause: "Alexa, stop" or "Alexa, shut up."
- Change volume: "Alexa, set the volume to 5 "," Alexa, louder "or" Alexa, turn on / Down the volume. "
The Echo Show and the Echo Spot are the only speakers with touch screen displays. That means you can tell them to show you things.
- Ask what the Echo Show can show: "Alexa, what can you show me?"
- Show your calendar: "Alexa, show my calendar."  Show pictures: "Alexa, show my photos" or, "Alexa, show me pictures of cats."
- Look at your cameras or other rooms: "Alexa, show the living room camera."
- Movie trailer view: "Alexa, show me the trailer for & # 39; It. & # 39;"
- Film production times: "Alexa, show me movie ideas."
- Look at the forecast: "Alexa, show me the weekend forecast."  Play YouTube Videos: "Alexa, show me travel videos on YouTube."
- Show recipes: "Alexa, show me a slow cooker recipe from Allrecipes."
- View your flash briefing: "Alexa, play my Flash Briefing video."
- Watch your timers: "Alexa, show me my timers."
- Open a visual ability: "Alexa, open Uber. "
Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
You can now use compatible Echo devices (Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Loo k, Echo Show and Amazon Tap).
- Control Fire TV: "Alexa, [pause, play, resume, stop, fast-forward, rewind] on Fire TV."
- Search movies or TV: "Alexa, search for [movie to TV show title] on Fire TV" or "Alexa, find [movie or TV show title] on Fire TV."
- Find a specific actor's work: "Alexa, show me a title with [actor] on Fire TV."
- Open Apps: "Alexa, Open [app name] on Fire TV" or "Alexa, Launch [app name] on Fire TV."
- Homecoming: "Alexa, back home."
Fire TV Edition Television
Amazon also builds its Fire TV operating system in televisions such as the. All of the above commands work on these as well, in addition to some TV-specific commands below.
- Turn on or off the TV: "Alexa, turn on Fire TV" or "Alexa, turn off Fire TV."  Change the volume of Fire TV: "Alexa, set the volume to [level] on Fire TV" or "Alexa, turn up [up/down] the volume on Fire TV."
- Mute Fire TV: "Alexa, [mute/unmute] Fire TV."
- Change the channel if you watch an antenna: "Alexa, go to [channel or network name] on Fire TV."  Change the inputs: "Alexa, switch to PlayStation on Fire TV" or "Alexa, switch to HDMI 1 on Fire TV."
- Open the antenna's program guide: "Alexa, open the TV Guide Fire TV. "
- Play music:" Alexa, play music. "19659029] Play music on other (or more) Alexa devices:" Alexa, play [artist] in the living room "or" Alexa, play everywhere [artist]. "
- Queue-specific song or artist: "Alexa, play music from [artist]."
- Play a song based on the context: "Alexa, play the lat est Avett Brothers album" or "Alexa, play the song "Must go down because I want everything."
- : "Alexa, play baby music" or "Alexa, play rock music to work. "
- Play the song of the day:" Alexa, play the song of the day. "
- Play Spotify Music:" Alexa, play on Spotify. "
- Play Pandora Station:" Alexa, play [artist] station on Pandora. "
- Play a radio station:" Alexa, play [radio station] on TuneIn.
- Play an audiobook: "Alexa, play The complete list of Alexa commands so far on Audible," Alexa, read The complete list of Alexa commands so far "or" Alexa, play the book, The complete list of Alexa commands so far. "
- Continue the last audiobook: "Alexa, continue my book."
- Skip audiobook chapter: "Alexa, next chapter" or "Alexa, previous chapter."
- Listen to Alexa give you a Kindle book: "Alexa, read my Kindle book."
- Set a sleep timer: "Alexa set a sleep timer for 45 minutes" or "Alexa, stop playing in 45 minutes."  Song information: "Alexa, what's playing?"
- Music controls: "Alexa, play" or "Alexa, next."
- Control the music playback on another Alexa speaker: "Alexa, stop in the kitchen" or "Alexa, next in the office."
- Restart song: "Alexa, restart."
- Add a song to your Prime Music library: "Alexa, add this song."
- Create a playlist in Amazon Music: "Alexa, create a new playlist" or "Alexa, create a & # 39; Friday Chill & # 39; s playlist."
- Add a song to a playlist in Amazon Music: "Alexa, add this song to my playlist" or "Alexa Add this to my playlist."
- Likes or dislikes a song on Pandora and iHeartRadio : "Alexa, I like this song" or "Alexa, thumbs down."
- Launch Amazon Music Unlimited: "Alexa, start my free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited."
Time and Date
- Alarm set: "Alexa, set an alarm clock for 7 o'clock" or "Alexa, wake me up at 7 o'clock in the morning."
- Set a musical alarm: "Alexa, wake me up at 8 pm [artist, song, genre, playlist or album]", "Alexa, set an alarm on Band of Horses" or "Alexa, wake me up at Kiss FM on TuneIn."
- Set one repeating alarm: "Alexa, set a weekday alarm at 7 o'clock"
- Set a timer: "Alexa, Timer" or "Alexa, set a timer for 15 minutes."
- Create a named timer: "Alexa set a pizza timer for 20 minutes. "
- Set multiple timers:" Alexa, set a second timer for 5 minutes. "
- Check timer status:" Alexa, how much time is still on the pizza timer? " or "Alexa, what are my timers?"
- Cancel a timer: "Alexa, cancel the pizza timer" or "Alexa, cancel the 15-minute timer."
- Ask the time: "Alexa, what time is it?"
- Ask the date: "Alexa, what's the date?"
- Ask for the next alarm: "Alexa, when is mine next alarm? "
- Cancel alarm:" Alexa, cancel alarm for 2 pm "
- Snooze alarm:" Alexa, slumber. "
- Check data:" Alexa, when is [holiday] this year? " Calls and Mailing
In May 2017, Amazonbetween users of its Echo Speaker. Later, it added another feature called that allows users to select different home-style intercom-style echoing devices. (You can also call from the Alexa app and send messages, but no commands are needed.)
This year, Amazon has added new features such asand the ability to .
- Call another Echo user: "Alexa, call [name]."
- Answer an incoming call: "Alexa, answer the call" or "Alexa, answer."
- Hang up: "Alexa, stop" or "Alexa, end the call".
- Message another echo user: "Alexa, message [name]" or "Alexa, send [name] a message."
- Play News: "Alexa, Play News."
- Send an SMS: "Alexa, send an SMS to [contact name]" or "Alexa, send a text message."
- Use Drop In on one of your own devices: "Alexa, come into the living room."
- Visit another user (the other user must call at any time): "Alexa, come over [name]."
- Unlock the video during an ongoing conversation (works only with Echo Show): "Alexa, turn off video."
- Make an announcement, "Alexa, announce it's dinner," "Alexa, airtime is time to go "or" Alexa, tell all the good night. "
- Repeat essential things from Amazon:" Alexa, buy more deodorant "or" Alexa, sort deodorant "
- Track Packages from Amazon: "Alexa, where are my things?" or "Alexa, follow my order".
- Order an Amazon Alexa device: "Alexa, order an echo", "Alexa, order an echo dot" or "Alexa, order an Amazon Tap."
- Add item to cart: "Alexa, add garbage bags to my cart."
- Order a Uber or Lyft with her skills: "Alexa, please Uber for a ride" or, "Alexa, ask Lyft for a ride."
- While listening to music in Amazon Music: "Alexa, buy this song" or "Alexa, buy this album."
- Find new music to buy: "Alexa, Shop New Music by [artist]."  Purchase a song or album from an artist: "Alexa, Buy [song or album] from [artist]."
- Ask for Deals: "Alexa, what are your offers?"
Turn on notifications, open the Alexa app or go to alexa.amazon.com and go to Settings> Notifications> Shopping Notifications and move the switch to the position on. Then your echo speakers will turn yellow when you have new notifications.
- Check missed notifications: "Alexa, what did I miss?", "Alexa, read my notifications" or "Alexa, what are my notifications?"  Navigate through notifications: "Alexa, next" or "Alexa, previous."
- Delete notifications: "Alexa, delete all my notifications."
Tasks and Shopping Lists
- Add task to -do list: "Alexa, add & # 39; go to grocery store & # 39; to my to-do list" or "Alexa, I need to make an appointment with that Doctor agree. "
- Create a new task: "Alexa, create a task."
- Calendar events check: "Alexa, what's in my calendar for tomorrow?"
- Add an event to a calendar: "Alexa, [event] Add to my calendar for [day] [time] "or" Alexa, add an event to my calendar. "
- :" Alexa, move my meeting from 12:00 to 3 : 00 o'clock. "
- Create a grocery list:" Alexa, add eggs to my grocery list "or" Al I need to buy laundry detergent. "
- Check your shopping list:" Alexa, what's on my shopping list? "
- Create a reminder:" Alexa, Reminder "or" Alexa, remember to check the stove in 5 minutes. "
- Review existing reminders:" Alexa, what are my memories this weekend? "or" Alexa, what memories do I have tomorrow? "
News and Weather
- Ask for your : "Alexa, what's my Flash Briefing?"
- Add Music News to Your Flash Briefing: "Alexa, Allow Today in Music"
- Check Headlines: "Alexa, What's New?"
- Look at the weather: "Alexa, what's the weather like?" or "Alexa, will it rain today?". You can also ask, "Alexa, will I need an umbrella today?"
- Get a weather forecast: "Alexa, what's the weather like this weekend?
- Traffic information:" Alexa, what does my commuter look like? as? "or" Alexa, how is the traffic?
- Find movies in nearby theaters: "Alexa, who plays movies? "or" Alexa, which action movies are playing tonight? "
- Get information about movies playing:" Alexa, tell me about the movie The complete list of Alexa commands so far. "
- Movie quotes received:" Give me a [movie] quote. "
- Get IMDb rating:" Alexa, what is the IMDb rating for [movie or TV show]?
- Casting for a movie or a show: "Alexa playing in [movie or TV show]? "
- Find out who an actor is:" Alexa playing [character] in [movie or TV show]?
- Find the latest work by an actor: "Alexa, what is [actor] & # 39; s last movie?"
- Find out who sings a particular song: "Who sings the song The complete list of Alexa commands so far?"
- Get the names of the band members: "Who is banned? D [name]?"
- Get album info: "In what year [band] published [song or album]?"
- Here you will find popular music from an artist: "Alexa, what is known from [artist]?"
- Sample music by one artist: "Alexa, Sample Songs by [artist]."
- Looking for a particular album or song: "Alexa, find [song or album] of [artist]."
Food and shops
- Get a recipe: "Alexa, how are you making chocolate chip cookies?"
- Discover nearby restaurants: "Alexa, find me a nearby pizza restaurant" or "Alexa, what's the nearest coffee shop?"
- Operating hours received or a telephone number for local businesses: "Alexa, find the address for the Bank of America" or "Alexa, find business hours for Harris Teeter."
- Convert units: "Alexa, how many [units] are in [units]?"
- Convert units: "Alexa, how many [units] are in 2 [units]?"
- Basic Maths: "Alexa, what's 5 plus 7?" Or "Alexa, what's 56×33?"
- Advanced math: "Alexa, 7 0 factorial." (Warning: Alexa will list a number from which you
Putting a dice: "Alexa, dices" or "Alexa, dices 26 pages stamp."
- Turn a coin: "Alexa, take a coin.
- Select a number: "Alexa, choose a number between 1 and 50."
Definitions and Spelling 19659028] Find the definition of a word: "Alexa, what is the definition of [word] ? "
- Check the results of a finished game: "Alexa, how was the result of the game [team]?"
- Ask if a team has won: "Alexa, won [team]?"
- Ask about the next game is scheduled: "Alexa, when does [team] next?"
- Find out the results of your favorite teams: "Alexa, give me my sport update."
- Get Fantasy Football Update with the Yahoo Fantasy Football ability: "Alexa, ask Yahoo Fantasy Football for a score update" or "Alexa, ask Yahoo Fantasy Football if Colin Kaepernick plays this week."
- Get They League Places: "Alexa, what are the MLB tables?"
- Send recent music to a Fire tablet: "Alexa, send that to my Fire tablet."
- Submit a fire tablet of another profile: "Alexa, show this on the Fire tablet of [name]."
Alexa can integrate with many smart home platforms, such as SmartThings, Wink, Insteon, Lutron, Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue and many more. Some require that you activate abilities, others do not. Amazon has updated Alexa earlier this month to change the color of Philips Hue, LifX and TP-Link smart bulbs.
Here are some of the different commands that you can use to control your smart home, though there are dozens more.
- Turn lights on or off: "Alexa, turn on the light" or "Alexa, turn off the living room lights."
- Dim the lights: "Alexa, dimm the lights to 50 percent."
- Change the color of the lights: "Alexa, turn the living room lights red" or "Alexa, turn the light to soft white."
- Change the color temperature of the lights: "Alexa, make the kitchen lights a little warmer."
- Set temperature: "Alexa, increase the temperature by 1 degree."
- Set temperature: "Alexa, set the temperature to 72
- Close your doors: "Alexa, lock my back door."
- Close your garage door: "Alexa, ask Garageio ($ 129 at Garageio) around my garage
- Discover smart home devices: "Alexa, disc over my devices."
- Use IFTTT recipes: "Alexa, trigger [IFTTT recipe]."
- Activate a scene (limited to Control4, Insteon, Lutron Caséta Wireless, Philips Hue, SmartThings and Wink): "Alexa, turn on Movie Time" or "Alexa, turn on bedtime."
- Control GE devices with Geneva's ability: " Alexa, tell Geneva to preheat my oven to 400 degrees "or" Alexa, ask Geneva if my laundry is dry is. "
- Looking for a lost phone with the skill TrackR Lost My Phone:" Alexa, wear TrackR to my phone. "
- : "Alexa, turn on the TV" or "Alexa, turn on Netflix."
- Pair a Bluetooth device: "Alexa, couple" or "Alexa, Bluetooth."
- Connect to a Bluetooth device: "Alexa, connect to my phone."
- Disconnect from a Bluetooth device: "Alexa, disconnect my phone."
Profiles and user accounts
- Switch profiles: "Alexa, switch account"
- Check which profile is active: "Alexa, which profile is this?"
Skills are like third-party applications for Alexa spokespersons. They allow you to connect third-party software and hardware to your speaker, play games, and add various news sources to your Flash Briefing.
- Use a skill: "Alexa, open the game."
- Find a child's abilities: "Alexa, what skills do you have?
- Enable abilities:" Alexa, activate Jeopardy! "
- Disable abilities:" Alexa, disable dominoes. "
Another recent update makes it unnecessary to enable abilities before you use them You can manually enable or disable abilities, but only" Open [skill invocation] "will find and activate a skill, but if that skill requires you To log in to your account, as with the Starbucks Reorder or Domino & # 39; s capabilities, you still need to open the Alexa app or go to alexa.amazon.com, open the Skills menu and log in to your account Cortana
Microsoftbut instead of being just a skill, it opens the door to a whole Ely separate digital assistant through your Alexa speakers.
Once you've added the ability, activated permissions, and connected your Microsoft and Amazon accounts, just say "Alexa, open Cortana." If Si If you're talking to Cortana, you can check your emails, ask for the next appointment in your calendar, or add items to your to-do list.
For the moment, the Cortana capability is limited as it is a public preview of which full integration will lie in the future.
- Wikipedia Information: "Alexa, Wikipedia: [subject]."
- Tell Alexa he's still reading a Wikipedia entry: "Alexa, tell me more."  Ask a general question: "Alexa, how big is [person or object’s name]?"
- Ask a general question: "Alexa, how many people live in America?"
- Get a "Game of Thrones" quote: "Alexa, give me a & # 39; Game of Thrones & quot; quote."
- Find out when a holiday is: " Alexa, when is [holiday]? "
- Holiday Limerick:" Alexa, tell me holiday Limerick. "
- Learn from a holiday:" Alexa, why are we celebrating [holiday]? "
- Ask for it Santa Claus: "Alexa, how old is Santa Claus?" "Alexa, is Santa Claus real?" or "Alexa, where does Santa Claus live?"
- Ask for Santa Reindeer: "Alexa, who is your favorite reindeer?" "Alexa, what can you tell me about Santa's reindeer?" or "Alexa, what do you know about Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer?"
- Track Santa: "Alexa, where is Santa?" or "Alexa, track Santa."
- Sing a Christmas carol: "Alexa, sing a Christmas carol."
- Let Alexa read "The Night Before Christmas": "Alexa, read" The night before Christmas.  Spin the Dreidel: "Alexa, spin the Dreidel."
- Ask for holiday jokes: "Alexa, open my gift," "Alexa, how ugly is your / my holiday sweater?" Or "Alexa, tell me a snowman joke.
- Are you looking for holiday movies ?: Alexa, what's your favorite holiday movie? "or" Alexa, what are the best holiday movies? "
Alexa comes full of Easter eggs and jokes – the list is long – we cover the strange world of Alexa Easter Eggsand mention some of the more popular or more prominent commands that a snarky or cause humorous response.
- "Alexa, give me an easter egg. "
- " Alexa, good morning. "
- " Alexa, tell me a joke. "
- " Alexa, beam me. "
- " Alexa, use Phaser to kill. "
- " Alexa. Tea. Earl Gray. Hot. "
- " Alexa, my name is Inigo Montoya. "
- " Alexa, I want the truth. "
- " Alexa, partying, Wayne. "
- " Alexa, show me the money. "
- " Alexa, what is the first (or second) rule of the Fight Club? "
- " Alexa, you can not be serious. "
- " Alexa, are you SkyNet?
- "Alexa, party time!"
- "Alexa, open the closet doors."
- "Alexa, when will I die?"
- "Alexa, what's your job?"
- "Alexa 'Nice to see you, to see you …'
- "Alexa, do not mention the war. "
- " Alexa, this is a dead parrot. "
- " Alexa, what's yours? smart plan?
For even more, check out this reddit thread dedicated to Alexa Easter Eggs.