This year's Apple Mac update keeps things interesting with a renewed emphasis on services, an important part of Apple's loyalty to its user base. The Silicon Valley Bigwig user base may fade compared to Microsoft users worldwide, but Apple has always used its apps and service ecosystem to create a special status aura. The excitement of Mac owners using Apple's new tools is critical to keeping the company's reputation with app manufacturers and fans.
Here are the five most important things in MacOS Catalina and everything else in the new Mac operating system that should improve your Mac life a bit. (And here .)
. 1 iTunes Replacement
For years, iTunes served as Apple's digital hub, helping you to buy, manage, play, and sync your digital content. Butof all its responsibilities and became more of a hassle for some . With Catalina Apple splits iTunes into three separate apps, each of which takes over part of the load carried by iTunes. Apple Music takes over the music portion of iTunes and provides a player, store, and library to organize all of your songs, albums, and playlists. Apple TV processes all your movies and shows and manages the Apple TV channels you subscribe to. You can also access the company's new streaming service. Apple Podcasts lets you manage the podcasts you subscribe to and listen to episodes. And everything is synced through iCloud, so you no longer have to worry about iTunes to keep all your devices up-to-date.
. 2 iPad Apps on the Mac
We got a glimpse of the future last year when Apple released iOS apps on the Mac: News, Stocks, Voice Memos, and Home. With Catalina, Apple opens the MacOS for all iPad developers with the tool with the software manufacturer can easily create apps that can be run on both iPad and MacOS devices. This is good news for Mac users who want access to a wider selection of apps.
. 3 Sidecar
And it's not just iPad apps that come to Catalina; It is also the device. With ($ 125 at Walmart) .Mac users can extend their desktops by turning an iPad into a second screen or using it as a tablet pad with Apple Pencil
. 4 Accessibility
Apple significantly extends the MacOS accessibility features in Catalina. With voice control, you can control your MacOS, iPadOS, and iOS devices with your voice instead of the mouse, trackpad, and keyboard, and add custom words so that voice control can recognize common words. Built-in assistive technology uses Siri's speech recognition engine, and all audio processing is done on your device. It keeps everything away from Apple's servers to protect your privacy.
. 5 Apple Arcade
($ 699 on Amazon) iPads, iPod Touches, and Apple TVs, will cost you $ 4.99 per month for a one-month free trial unrestricted access. In Catalina you will find Arcade in its own tab on the Mac App Store.offers more than 100 new and exclusive games that Apple has partnered with game makers. Apple emphasized that the games will not be available on other mobile devices and will not be part of other subscription services. The service, which runs on Macs, iPhones
What else is in MacOS Catalina?
In addition to the most important innovations Catalina brings a number of improvements, from tighter security to improved photo editing.
- Screen Time: Catalina's screen-time app lets you monitor and control time on your Mac and family. Plan downtime for everyone in your family and limit which apps you or your children can use. With Communication Limits, you can control who and when your kids are allowed to chat, and manage your child's contact list.
- Security and privacy: Catalina includes an activation lock as used on the iPhone. ($ 999 on Amazon) and iPad to make sure that only you can erase and reactivate your Mac if you've lost it. An advanced gatekeeper that checks your installed apps for malware monitors newly installed apps for security issues.
- Photos: The Photos app in Catalina has a new tab for browsing your photos. The app organizes your photos by day, month and year.
- Notes: The updated Notes app has a new gallery view and offers shared folders for collaboration.
- Memories: The redesigned reminder app has been redesigned editing buttons, and Siri is integrated to make suggestions.
- Safari: Apple's web browser opens your homepage faster, offers Siri suggestions, and warns you about weak passwords.
- Mail: Mail makes it easier to block senders, mute threads, and unsubscribe from commercial e-mail lists.
- Find My: Catalina combines Find My Phone and Find My Friends into a single app. And you can locate offline devices via their Bluetooth signal.
- Approve with Apple Watch: If you own an Apple Watch, you can use it to authenticate your Mac.
- Apple ID Info: Catalina gives you access to your Apple ID information via the system settings.
- QuickTime Player: Do you use QuickTime for video playback? Catalina gives you Picture in Picture (PiP).
- Start: You can safely capture video to iCloud when a HomeKit-enabled camera detects activity, and display the video through the Home app.
- International: Catalina offers advanced support for multiple languages.
- iCloud Drive: For iCloud, you can share folders with a private link.
- Recovery from a Snapshot: When a MacOS Update Does Not Match Yours With third-party software, you can reset your system to a snapshot of your computer that you previously updated.
Originally published this summer. Updated with new information about Catalina.