The small laundry symbols on clothing brands are not just suggestions. It is basically your user manual how to care for your garment to last as long as possible.
Ignoring these symbols can result in shrunken, discolored or mutilated clothing. What are the most frequently used laundry symbols on the care label of your clothing so that you can effectively and safely clean them on
The washbasin symbol
The washbasin symbol is essentially a tub of water in it. If you see it on the label, it means that your garment can be washed. If it is crossed out, your garment can not be washed and normally needs to be chemically cleaned.
That seems easy, right? Well, a washbasin icon can contain many additional markers, as shown in the picture above.
Let's take down all these extras:
- If there is a number inside the pool, this is the maximum water temperature (in Celsius) you should use to wash the object. A label labeled 30 means a water temperature of 86 degrees Fahrenheit, 40 means 104 degrees Fahrenheit, 60 means 140 degrees Fahrenheit, and 95 means 203 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Points inside the pool also indicate temperature, with one point for cold water, two points for warm water and three points for warm water.
- No lines under the sink mean that you need to wash the item in the normal washing cycle of your washing machine.
- A line under the cymbal means that the garment has to be washed in a permanent press cycle.
- Two lines indicate that the element should be washed in the bake cycle.
- A hand in the bowl means you have to wash the item by hand instead of using a washing machine.
These symbols help decode which textiles can withstand the washing process, which can ruin sensitive textiles.
Ironing of ironing-icons "data-original =" https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/Y3HD2Axs6Mbee5PLmPNzSbXxZQ4=/724×0/201/03/06/83fe3a52-e7db-4ea0-ad5c-4d2da43c7871/ironing-online042443c7871 / ironing / 4 / 22443c7871 / ironing-icons “/>
Leolein / Openclipart
Leolein / Openclipart
Just like the pelvis symbol, this means you can iron the garment if you see an iron symbol with the care instructions. A crossed out symbol means you can not. Then there are variations.
Points inside the symbol indicate which heat setting should be used. If you see a point within a bracket icon, you must use a low heat setting. Two dots means you should use a medium heat setting, and three dots indicate a high heat setting, usually for cotton or linen fabric.
Also lines are important. Lines that emanate from the bottom of the iron symbol mean that you can dampen the garment. Crossed lines under the iron indicate that the garment can not be steamed. / 724×0/2019/03/06/b3dbef7d-3503-4db0-8258-31f2edb7afe3/dry-icons.png[19659027dier-iconsde/19659020(0)Dryingsymbols ] Leolein / Openclipart
The laundry symbols for drying in a dryer are a square with a circle or sometimes just a circle. If the symbol of the dryer is crossed out, do not place your garment in the dryer. It can shrink or be damaged by the heat. Typically, it is best to leave these items to air dry.
Look for points. A clothes dry icon with a dot in the center means that the item can dry under normal heat setting. Two points mean that the article can be dried at high heat. An empty circle means that you can use any temperature setting.
Also pay attention to whether the icon is colored or not. If you see a colored dry symbol, it means that you need to dry the article without heat.
Many people just assume that if a garment is white, it can be bleached. Stop there, buddy. First check the label.
An open triangle means you can use bleach, but a triangle with solid lines (like the middle triangle above) means you should use bleach without chlorine. A crossed-out triangle means that bleaching of any kind is a bad idea and should be avoided.