In 2017, Amazon offered its customers the ability to ship packages with their new key service within their homes. What if you're nervous about giving Amazon the right to open your front door, but you're fed up with leaving your groceries in the rain? Well, in the year 2018, Amazon offered an alternative: The company will deliver your package to the trunk of your car, where it can be stored in relative safety.
The service is available for certain vehicle types (most recently Honda vehicles) and Acura) in certain cities. If you want to try it, here are the current requirements:
You must be a Prime member.
You must live in one of the supported cities.
You must have one of the following eligible vehicles:
- Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, and Volvo models from 201
- Lincoln 2018 or newer cars with Lincoln Connect
- Honda 2018 or newer cars with HondaLink Remote
- Acura RDX 2019 or newer with AcuraLink Remote
Finally, your package not:
- Weigh over 50 pounds
- Be larger than 26 x 21 x 16 inches
- Need a signature
- Come from a third party
Got it? If you have the right type of car, live in the right area, are a prime member and meet all other criteria, you can start shipping your car.
First you need to sign up for Amazon Key:
- Go to the Amazon Key page, the Apple App Store, or the Google Play Store, download and install the app.
- Launch the app and select "Vehicle Setup".
- On the next screen, you can check if your vehicle and location are eligible (if you have not already).
- After several screens explaining how vehicle delivery works, you are prompted to enter information about your vehicle. You can then link your vehicle's Connected Car Service plan to your Amazon account.
Done! If you subsequently buy from Amazon and select an address that is suitable for delivery in the car, this option will be displayed along with a delivery window for same day or second day delivery.
A Few Other Important Information:
- You must park in a public place within two blocks of your delivery address (the key app will indicate if you are within range).
- If you change your mind or park outside the acceptable range, Amazon will either deliver the package to the specified address or try again the next day.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media may earn commissions on products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see of our Ethics Policy .