iOS 13, iPadOS, macOS Catalina and tvOS 13 are available in public beta and can now be downloaded and installed. The installation process will be a little different, but we will explain the changes and how to load the new software onto your device.
If you are not logged into Apple's developer program, this is your first opportunity to try out the new software in beta. These beta versions are updated on a regular basis and lead to the final version, which we expect at the end of summer. It's likely due to new hardware announcements released at Apple's annual September event.
First, the usual warning about beta software: These releases seem to be stable, but may contain bugs that will not be fixed until the final version is released in 201
We have included some of the problems that we encountered during our time in the public betas. Your experience may differ. However, if you choose to install, you should first back up your data.
About macOS Catalina before installing the beta
Of the various new features of macOS Catalina, Catalyst has received the most enthusiasm. With the code name "Marzipan", iPad developers can port their apps to macOS. Twitter was one of the first companies to announce that it is using the feature to bring its app back to the Mac.
If you have an iPad running the iPadOS software (see below), Catalina's new sidecar feature (pictured above) above) allows you to use the iPad wirelessly as a secondary touch-screen display. Support to connect to your Mac. Apps approved for use in Sidecar mode currently include Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Illustrator, and iWork. However, you can also use the iPad as an extension of your desktop.
Another important feature is the voice control accessibility feature, which allows users with voice dictation to navigate through macOS Catalina without the need for physical switches and triggers that mimic mouse and keyboard actions.
Apple also renounces iTunes (RIP) in favor of three different apps: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV. Apple Music retains much of what you may remember from iTunes, including access to all your purchased content. The Podcasts app provides local indexing support that can search for specific topics to be podcasted, guests, hosts, and more. The Apple TV app supports 4K HDR playback with HDR 10, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
Issues that have occurred so far
When an iPad is repeatedly connected via Sidecar, you may experience problems that require a reboot. Some users report stability issues with Final Cut Pro X.
Installing macOS Catalina beta
- Visit Apple's Beta Software Portal
- Click "Register devices" in the top right corner of the webpage.
- Click on "macOS", the option on the far left of the next page. A reminder will appear to remind you that you have created a Time Machine backup before proceeding.
- Scroll down until you find a button labeled "Download MacOS Public Beta Access Utility" beta program, and click it to download a .DMG file that registers your computer. Otherwise, you can skip this step.
- Finally, continue with "Software Update" in System Preferences to install the beta. It may not be available immediately. You will receive a notification as soon as it is.
What You Should Know Before Installing the Beta Version on iOS 13
iOS 13 aims to improve the performance of all iPhones, especially older iPhones, which were slowed down by previous software updates. Some of Apple's claims include a 30 percent increase in speed for Face ID unlocks and apps that start twice as fast as iOS 12.
One of the most anticipated changes to iOS 13 is the new system-wide dark mode. This helps extend battery life in iPhone X and iPhone XS OLED screen phones. Apart from the battery efficiency, it just looks cool. Apple states that its own first-party apps will support this as well as the app dock and notifications.
As with iPadOS, iOS 13 will provide support for external storage, including SD cards and USB flash drives. This makes importing and exporting photos and other data much easier than before. It will be available to iPhones dating back to the iPhone 6S.
Many small but thoughtful changes are also made, including the new native photo app's ability to rotate recorded videos without installing additional apps. Thanks to iOS 13, Apple's HomePod Smart Speaker can tell who's talking to it and Siri gets a new voice.
Problems encountered so far
There are some expected problems encountered
Some more results from our time with the public beta of iOS 13: Darker mode are not yet known after you found your way to all first-party apps from Apple You may have trouble using a mobile payment application that relies on bar code scanning, or your preferred third-party keyboard may not work.
How to Install the iOS 13 Beta  Use the iPhone browser to navigate to the Apple Beta Software Portal.
What you should know before installing via iPadOS
Unlike previous iOS updates, iPadOS is tailor-made software designed for the iPad only. The goal is to make these tablets more than ever before a valid laptop replacement. Whether that's true or not, there are several iOS 12 customizations that can make a difference to your workflow.
The new iPadOS home screen has been redesigned to make better use of the screen sizes of the iPad and provide more benefits than before. It combines the default layout of app icons with the Notification Center, so you can see more information at a glance.
Apple has added several new features to iPadOS. According to Dieter Bohn in a recent processor episode (see above), some issues with iOS 12 have been resolved. One of the biggest improvements is the iPadOS includes a file manager and the long-desired support for USB drives and SD cards. This allows you to import photos and perform other file transfers, such as with a laptop.
iPadOS also offers a desktop-class Safari browser that lets you view desktop versions of websites that previously redirected your iPad to mobile versions. Google Docs, a web app that many people rely on for their work, works surprisingly well, though this may not be true for all desktop sites.
As mentioned earlier, when you upgrade your iPad to iPadOS, you can use a wireless secondary display for your MacOS computer if you need more screen space. Adobe has agreed to support drawing tablets in Illustrator, and other apps that support this include Affinity Photo, Cinema 4D, Maya, ZBrush, and more.
Problems encountered so far
On several iPad devices, we have the following issues: I have seen frequent crashes and multitasking issues. Gestures are not always registered, and the new photo app sometimes freezes. In this case, a manual restart is sometimes not possible. You just have to wait.
How to Download the iPadOS Beta
- From your iPad browser, go to Apple's Beta Software Portal
- . Click "Enroll Your Devices" at the top of the page to scroll horizontally to find it)
- Click "iPadOS." This is the option on the far right of the next page. When you do so, a reminder will be displayed reminding you to back up your MacOS computer first if you need to restore your operating system to an earlier state.
- Scroll down until you find a button labeled Download Profile, and then select it. A warning appears that the site is trying to download a configuration profile. Select "Allow". A pop-up window will appear, allowing you to set the new profile in the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app and a new section called "Downloaded Profile" should be added above. Select this option and you should have access to download the beta software.
What you should know before installing the beta on tvOS 13
The latest operating system running on the Apple TV 4K and the Apple TV HD set-top Boxing is now in public beta. Although the changes are not as comprehensive as those in iOS 13 or iPadOS, there are still some things to look forward to.
New Features and Enhancements tvOS 13 comes with a redesigned home screen that focuses on previewing content in full-screen mode, multi-user support, and personalized recommendations for each user logged into Apple TV.
Xbox One and PlayStation 4 controllers are also supported with the tvOS 13 update. This makes playing on the Apple TV more comfortable if you do not want to get used to the feel of another controller. It will also be cheaper for those who already own one of these consoles. Even if you do not have one, they're cheaper than most Apple TV-compatible Bluetooth controllers currently available.
Another innovation is the picture-in-picture support (at least according to )] 9to5Macs dive through the developer version of the beta. Apple did not announce this feature on the stage at WWDC 2019. However, when launched in public beta, users can view TV shows or movies in a small pop-out window while navigating the Apple TV.
download the tvOS 13 beta
- First, sign up for the beta program from Apple via its portal.
- Go to "Settings" on your Apple TV and select "Accounts."
- Apple's beta portal informs you that you need it To sign in to your Apple TV with the same Apple ID that you used to sign in to the beta software
- . Then go back to "Settings", select "System" and open the "Software Updates" section. The last option on this page is called Download Beta Updates. Select "On". Then you will receive an update for the installation.