The event, which is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET in Miami, will feature an ABC town hall competing with Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden. Trump and Biden were originally scheduled to attend the second presidential debate on Thursday night, but the event was eventually canceled after Trump objected to the virtual format announced by the Presidential Debate Commission, given Trump’s positive coronavirus diagnosis.
“The event should take place outdoors and comply with the guidelines of the health authorities, which also comply with all state regulations,” said Hoda Kotb on NBC’s “Today”
; show on Wednesday.
Clifford Lane, clinical director of the National Institutes of Health, said in a statement to NBC News that using PCR test analysis “with a high level of confidence” they concluded that Trump “does not deliver an infectious virus.”
The event will be hosted by Savannah Guthrie, who sits 12 feet from the President. Participants must wear face masks.
Trump’s decision last week to pull out of the second debate resulted in Biden and ABC being quick to announce their plans to hold a town hall. Shortly thereafter, Trump’s team started talks with NBC about a similar event, on condition that Trump tested negative for coronavirus.
Trump has failed in all national polls and has either lagged behind Biden or has ties to him in major swing states. He urgently needs a national platform on which he can assert himself with the voters less than three weeks before election day.