You can now watch Disney + shows like The Mandalorian together with your friends virtually via the new GroupWatch function of the streaming service.
This feature allows up to seven people to watch the same show or movie on Disney + at the same time by synchronizing screens. You can also share emoji reactions with your friends while you watch.
You can connect with any of your friends who are Disney + monthly subscribers. While you won’t be able to see or text your friends with GroupWatch, Disney reportedly plans to add chat functionality in the future.
How to use GroupWatch on Disney +
- Open the app or website and choose which show or movie to watch.
- Click the three person icon to the far right of the play icon.
- Send the invite link shown to your friends via text, email, or other messaging option.
- After everyone has the link and has been added, anyone can click Start Stream.
- Anyone can pause, fast-forward or rewind the stream while watching.
Digital Trends reached out to Disney to see if GroupWatch would have additional features such as a chat option. We will update this story when we hear something.
Disney is the latest streaming service to have a shared stream feature: Netflix has a third-party Netflix party and Amazon has the Amazon Prime Video Watch party. These options have become even more popular during the pandemic as people limit themselves to physically hanging out with their friends or family, but still being able to virtually enjoy a movie night together.